Best methods of Field dress, and getting feral hogs ready for processing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willie14228

Reaction score
Black Powder I'm new at Hog Kills I'm not so thought I might share what we do in east Texas
Feral Hogs around here eat a lot of acorns and corn the question always pops up what does it taste like
fact is it depends on the area the hogs are living. But in this area they have a slight nutty flavor
Feral hogs have much less fat content in the meat and proper cooking is essential of course as with any game and pork it must be cooked completely but don't over cook gets very dry and even will have a bad odor if overly cooked.
when I process my own sausage I like to mix a bag of ends and pieces or a good fatty pork shoulder from the store.
first order of business when you shoot a hog slit it's throte and bleed it.... Woops First order make sure it's DEAD!!! please please please if your never hunted Feral hogs be Aware they can be extremely dangerous. I saw a guys dog gutted from stem to stern by a hog in a blink of an eye.
it's hot even in winter it is usually 45 50 degrees most of the time around here so it's important to gut it and get ice in the cavity ASAP. Always skin wild hogs never try boil baths for hair removal to many parisites
I have a big 4 foot long ice chest I don't hog hunt with out it. When I quarter them out I cover in ice and spread salt over the ice I like to open the drain valve and just keep adding ice and salt for two to four days.
Another key is avoid cutting bone when possible the marrow from the bone gets in the meat and gives it a game flavor.
This may be a little off to some but the ranchers I hunt for has one very firm rule if it oinks shoot it no matter the size. A 15 or 20 pound pig can be gutted and skinned and beheaded and makes a really good BBQ racker or open fire spit cooking size.
here is a good sweet rub that never fails to please
1 part Brown Sugar
1/2 part Emerals seasoning
1/4 part honey Jack Daniels
1 part honey
mix Brown Sugar and Emerals together
thin honey with the JD and spread on meat then pat rub over honey cover with tin foil if cooking ribs loins or such a batch of ribs or loin usually cooks at 350 degree for 1 hour open foil and rebaste with liquid in foil leave foil open and cook for another 15 min , but again test with thermo to make sure fully cooked
you can also make a paste and baste a pig on spit by thinning with JD or water

We hunt and trap a lot of wild hogs. The vast majority are given to folks who need the meat.

You have it down very well.

Too many hunters let wild hog meat spoil. When the temperature is 80 degrees F. the meat starts going bad in about four hours if not cooled. Cutting the hogs throat and letting it bleed out is essential.

We hang the hog by its rear legs and skin the animal before field dressing. Cut off the head and front feet and skin out the front legs. The skin is slit down the front and down the center of the back. The hams are skinned out, the skin pulled off with big skinning pliers, using a knife as required.

These things are great for skinning hogs:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... l?a=686993

Latest posts

Back