LOOKING TO DO SOME HOG HUNTING IN MICHIGAN WITH MY M.L.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donparadowski

Reaction score
One of my major unanswered questions is can I get the critter processed at a commercial slaughter house? Does anyone know of a place that I can take it in South East Michigan or in Gladwin or Midland counties (Central Lower Peninsula)?

Butcher shops and meat processing places can be very finicky about processing wild pigs. The ones ive taked to had concerns about possible diseases.

A friend of mine when to Kentucky or Tennessee, one of those states and shot a nice sized wild hog. He packed it with and in ice and rushed home here, only to find that no one would butcher it for him. Lucky for him an old farmer offered to butcher it for him at his home. Check with a few butcher/meat processing shops before you go. See if they will be willing to take the animal and butcher it. Otherwise do it yourself. Its time consuming, especially if you want to do the whole hide thing, but not impossible.

cayuga said:
A friend of mine when to Kentucky or Tennessee, one of those states and shot a nice sized wild hog. He packed it with and in ice and rushed home here, only to find that no one would butcher it for him. Lucky for him an old farmer offered to butcher it for him at his home. Check with a few butcher/meat processing shops before you go. See if they will be willing to take the animal and butcher it. Otherwise do it yourself. Its time consuming, especially if you want to do the whole hide thing, but not impossible.
@Cayuga: I have checked. That is why I am asking here. So far I have only received three answers from many. "No", "No...No", and "No...No...No".

donparadowski said:
cayuga said:
@Cayuga: I have checked. That is why I am asking here. So far I have only received three answers from many. "No", "No...No", and "No...No...No".
10/7/18 I finally found a processor that will do it and it is near by my home too!

I have checked with the County Extension Service in several Michigan counties that have a feral hog problem. The only answers I got was something to the likes of: "Feral hogs! What feral hogs?

Very easy to do yourself do, you don't have to hang the hog and skin it, down here in Texas I do this all the time once the hog is on the ground I skin a back ham and then remove the leg put it in the cooler skin the front shoulder only and remove, next I run my knife from that back leg area that I just removed up the back and take the back strap out on that side, flip the carcass over and do the same thing on the other side,I never bother with the rib cage or gutting the hog it is nasty,I can have a hog quartered and in the cooler in 15 minutes sometimes less, I think you'll find people more willing now to process your quarters rather than take them a whole hog that's wild that they have to skin,most the wild hogs in my area are actually leaner and cleaner than a pen-raised hog that's been fed corn I think people sometimes have a misconception, I think just the idea of a wild hog freaks a lot of people out very clean very lean meat,I do try to put some rubber gloves on just as I would if I was slaughtering a hog that I had raised on corn.

Used to catch them live when I was young with dogs,,nothing more exciting than grabbing a three or four hundred pound boar by the back leg and flipping him over and hogtieing him, make your heart go pitter-patter ,no guns ,no knives just you and the dogs and a rope

Used to catch them live when I was young with dogs,,nothing more exciting than grabbing a three or four hundred pound boar by the back leg and flipping him over and hogtieing him, make your heart go pitter-patter ,no guns ,no knives just you and the dogs and a rope
Maurice Chambers had a nasty scar on the calfm of his leg and a story to go with it...

When I used to catch hogs live I never got hit by a hog but I could see where that's a possibility what you got to watch is getting down in a tight place in a creek bottom or something where there's no room to run or move or jump, it doesn't take one long to learn to stay on the ass of that hog you stay behind him and keep your hand on him and you can just dance a circle as he does if that makes sense if you stay in front of that hog though straight in front of him in a straight line you're in trouble, but hog hunting is not for the light-hearted I would say if you can't handle getting in the ring and fighting somebody full contact or getting on the back of a bull you probably have no business catching a hog live,,,I think once you learn the mechanics of how a big old hog moves around and once you've kind of stood back and watched it a little bit it wouldn't take you long you'd want to get down there off that horse and get you a piece of that action too ,,but I've run hogs on foot without horse also,,I've been chased a couple times and have to dive and roll or get up a tree Heck that's live action everyone likes that!!! Life is so good

There's something about facing a moment or a situation that absolutely scares the you know what out of you,, and living through it that's addicting where I grew up in the country that was just a normal young man's lifestyle still is for a lot of young men around where I live I know that's disappearing everywhere isn't it. If you ever have a chance to catch hogs live you go,, and do it even if you just stand by as a bystander and a watcher it's good for your heart

When I used to catch hogs live I never got hit by a hog but I could see where that's a possibility what you got to watch is getting down in a tight place in a creek bottom or something where there's no room to run or move or jump, it doesn't take one long to learn to stay on the ass of that hog you stay behind him and keep your hand on him and you can just dance a circle as he does if that makes sense if you stay in front of that hog though straight in front of him in a straight line you're in trouble, but hog hunting is not for the light-hearted I would say if you can't handle getting in the ring and fighting somebody full contact or getting on the back of a bull you probably have no business catching a hog live,,,I think once you learn the mechanics of how a big old hog moves around and once you've kind of stood back and watched it a little bit it wouldn't take you long you'd want to get down there off that horse and get you a piece of that action too ,,but I've run hogs on foot without horse also,,I've been chased a couple times and have to dive and roll or get up a tree Heck that's live action everyone likes that!!! Life is so good
There's something about facing a moment or a situation that absolutely scares the you know what out of you,, and living through it that's addicting where I grew up in the country that was just a normal young man's lifestyle still is for a lot of young men around where I live I know that's disappearing everywhere isn't it. If you ever have a chance to catch hogs live you go,, and do it even if you just stand by as a bystander and a watcher it's good for your heart

Haha 😆 yeah, I know all about that rush... and I know what it is to get to the other side and say, “how the everloving hell did we get through that?” that was a while ago, I’m 72 years old and I’m in pretty good shape for an old jarhead with a couple knee surgeries and several spinals behind me. But I still throw calves at branding time... I wonder... wife and I are considering a road trip this winter, maybe we need to add this to the list? :lewis:

If you can throw a calf over you can pitch a hog over it's the same thing matter of fact it's not as hard as a calf,we're just tired of feed up just like you would a calf and drag them out by horseback four-wheeler or like I say sometimes we hunted them on foot I know men in their mid-70s it's still hunt hogs you ain't too old to hunt hogs on foot or catch them live,, now they got dog body armor it's not so hard on the dogs sometimes you run up on a hog that's been caught before and he kind of knows his way around That's when you got your hands full sometimes them two and 300 lb hogs are dog killers you get a great big one and four or five hundred pounds He's not near as mobile.. I'm 60 but I still like that adrenaline myself

Latest posts

Back