Distance and Type Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vortex zero stop
Once you set your zero say 100 yds then you install shims under turret so that is bottom then say you go long and dial up 30 moa 2 1/2 turns with stop you simply turn knob back down to stop back to zero.

bestill said:
Vortex zero stop
Once you set your zero say 100 yds then you install shims under turret so that is bottom then say you go long and dial up 30 moa 2 1/2 turns with stop you simply turn knob back down to stop back to zero.
yes that is correct, I don't know how zero stop works only allowing one turn up. That means it is set on wrong end if that is possible
I thought I said same thing guess I missed something

ronlaughlin said:
My scopes turret have zero stop, which only allow one revolution of the elevation dial. This means i cannot reach 500 yard. Evidently my term, and the term accepted here are different. To adjust for zero, i do loosen set screw.
If that causes you not to reach 500 yd. something is wrong

I believe there are some manufacturers zero stop that only allow one turn up from zero.

The furthest i ever shot was 450 yard. To do that i had to remove the special engraved elevation knob that had a ball stop built into it. The dial was replaced with a generic dial, that i was able to turn enough to reach 450 yard, but the problem then becomes, to remember where zero is. The idea that one can use some sort of a shim to stop the elevation dial at zero is new to me, but i like the idea. Maybe i can fabricate something that would work for me, however i don't know if the dial gets lower as the elevation is lowered. My thinking is the dial doesn't get lower, so i guess i will ponder my problem.

How many people on here ever use there elevation adjust to go to different yardage. You have two types of turret 1. zero stop and the other is return to zero.
Zero stop use shims to keep you from losing your zero. after your zero point of aim is found you use the shims to keep your dial from going no more than one turn down past zero.
Return to zero means you loosen three set set screws and raise your turret and run it all the way to bottom and then retighten. that is your zero point . Everything after that is up and then you just turn it back to bottom for zero

fivebull said:
How many people on here ever use there elevation adjust to go to different yardage. You have two types of turret 1. zero stop and the other is return to zero.
Zero stop use shims to keep you from losing your zero. after your zero point of aim is found you use the shims to keep your dial from going no more than one turn down past zero.
Return to zero means you loosen three set set screws and raise your turret and run it all the way to bottom and then retighten. that is your zero point . Everything after that is up and then you just turn it back to bottom for zero

I use my elevation adjustment for different yardage but, I don't need shims.

Does everyone have a turret scope? I shoot to 300~+/- with my regular scopes. Ive never even owned a turret scope. I just use holdover and Kentucky windage. (and have usually done pretty well) Even my centerfires that I have shot to 500 at least. Guess I may have to look into one, and try it on one of my better guns.

I have seen them, and understand how they work, but in a hunting situation, do you consult the rangefinder and wind meters, then pull out the laptop and consult the ballistics programming before twisting the scope dials to make a shot? sure for long range target competition, but I cant see it for hunting situations. I have shot some game at pretty good ranges, and I could understand it in competition environment, but it also seems like the idea of letting the school kids use a calculator to learn complicated math. they may learn how to punch in the numbers and get the answer, but they aren't really learning to solve the problems. not to say thats a true crossover of situations. I see its value, and applications, But I also think theres a lot to instinctive knowledge also. This is all pretty much new technology, applied to very old traditions.

I use target turrets on all scopes .
Zero stop is helpful when dialing up multiple turns going long then gun gets put up and when pull out you question how many turns back to zero. With stop theres no question.

Squeeze said:
I have seen them, and understand how they work, but in a hunting situation, do you consult the rangefinder and wind meters, then pull out the laptop and consult the ballistics programming before twisting the scope dials to make a shot? sure for long range target competition, but I cant see it for hunting situations. I have shot some game at pretty good ranges, and I could understand it in competition environment, but it also seems like the idea of letting the school kids use a calculator to learn complicated math. they may learn how to punch in the numbers and get the answer, but they aren't really learning to solve the problems. not to say thats a true crossover of situations. I see its value, and applications, But I also think theres a lot to instinctive knowledge also. This is all pretty much new technology, applied to very old traditions.

I personally have no problem with being instinctive in a hunting situation. If you're going to be shooting long range (200yds and beyond) when hunting, you should be utilizing a rangefinder and if you're not, well..... :huh?: There shouldn't be any guessing at 287yds or 345yds or, 412yds for that matter. There's no rushing a long range hunting shot. From 0 to 200yds is a chip shot, its beyond that there can't be guessing. As for distance, use the rangefinder, dial the turret, with no leaning over the rifle to look at a range card. With the wind, it better be a damn good guess or know what it is.

Squeeze,
I don't do any of that.
I range my shot dial scope and shoot. Yes i do have range card on my muzzleloader but i shoot alot and while hunting i run shot scenarios. So if i know distance and wind i can dope scope from memory.
Im not saying this way is for everybody but i want every shot to hit where my crosshairs are placed..

A rangefinder I have in every pack, but mostly around my usual spots I have predetermined distance marks. that tree is xxx, that opening is xxx as much as possible. I do this every time in a new spot and try to get markers and predetermined knowledge as much as possible, so when something is sighted, most of the time I will already know the distance. I do this even closeup as I do a lot of bowhunting. I guess the turret thing isnt too far off the ladder peep guys twisting up the yardage.
but not too many of them hunt with their competition gun. they average in the too heavy to lug around all day weight range

Squeeze said:
A rangefinder I have in every pack, but mostly around my usual spots I have predetermined distance marks. that tree is xxx, that opening is xxx as much as possible. I do this every time in a new spot and try to get markers and predetermined knowledge as much as possible, so when something is sighted, most of the time I will already know the distance. I do this even closeup as I do a lot of bowhunting. I guess the turret thing isnt too far off the ladder peep guys twisting up the yardage.
but not too many of them hunt with their competition gun. they average in the too heavy to lug around all day weight range

I do the same with the predetermined distance marks when I hunt longer ranges, which is over agricultural fields and normally from a box blind or straw bales covered with a pop-up..... which by the way makes a great hide with a good rest :wink: I still range an animal unless its at one of those known distances.

Back