At 400 Yard

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
400yd1.jpg

The target is a laundry jug filled with water. There is a portable shooting bench about 25' behind the truck on the far ridge. The next photo shows the smoke from the rifle the instant the powder ignites....the next photo shows the smoke dissipating after about 1/2 second, and the bullet is in the air on the way to the target

400yd2.jpg

400yd3.jpg

The next photo was taken a tad over a second after the rifle was fired, and shows the bullet hitting the ground by the jug

400yd4.jpg

It turned out raising the elevation 33 moa was too much; 31 moa worked more better. Another problem i had was holding too far into the wind. The wind moved the bullet quite a bit less than i thought it would. The previous stills were taken from this VIDEO. After the battery in the camera ran out of energy, i finally managed to hit the jug at the lower left.

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

Man I bet that was one fun day of shooting!

Do you think you would ever get confident enough to hunt at those distances?

Dutch said:
.....Do you think you would ever get confident enough to hunt at those distances?
Only if there was zero breeze. Probably will never shoot at any big game animal at long range, unless there was zero breeze. Maybe if there was zero breeze. Nope.... never....

Was a blast wasn't it? Excellent video by the way! It'll only get better with more shooting. Keep at it.

It appears you may have been shooting down hill? If so, that could have affected elevation.

Forgot to ask....... do you know what the wind speed and direction actually was?

It doesn't seem down hill too much. Have been meaning to check elevations using a gps. No, i don't know much about the wind speed nor direction; i ordered one of them wind measuring device yesterday. I grossly over estimated the effect the wind would have. The smoke from the rifle, in the video, indicates there wasn't much of a cross wind vector; i guess most of the wind vector was straight at me.

ronlaughlin said:
It doesn't seem down hill too much. Have been meaning to check elevations using a gps. No, i don't know much about the wind speed nor direction; i ordered one of them wind measuring device yesterday. I grossly over estimated the effect the wind would have. The smoke from the rifle, in the video, indicates there wasn't much of a cross wind vector; i guess most of the wind vector was straight at me.

Hard to tell if its a headwind or following wind but, it does appear to travel to your left in the video?? If you had a quartering headwind, that would certainly change the information input into a ballistics program. I received this meter the other day: http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Crosswin ... wind+meter . I've yet to be able to shoot and use it, as its either to cold or to windy. The entire month of February temp averaged 6.6°F and with high winds, to darn cold to shoot.

This is where we can certainly learn from the long range target shooters.

Congrats.
Like hitting a Turkey silhouette - the hardest of all of them.
Sweet...

Nice shooting Ron....a way to spend time shooting and you achieved what you set out to do...to bad about the cross winds..Don't give up trying...I hope soon you will be putting 3 for 3 in the jug...Good Luck

Tail wind could have pushed you up the extra MOA. That was a good shot only way to learn wind is just shoot in it.

Back