new knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

long shot

Reaction score
hear knight has unveiled a new rifle in .45 cal shoots conicals. It is suppose to be unveiled at NRA Convention

kind of sour on Knight for discontinuing the left hand stock with no warning, and no available backstock. Still a fine rifle though :)

The ML business has been going south for several years now and manaufacturers are putting the '''squeeze''' on things to cut costs and maintain enough supply & demand.

It was not my fault when this lefty (me) entered a Catholic school and the teacher-Nun took a ruler to my six year-old hands for writing left-handed. But I remain proud of being a southpaw-primarily, although for whatever reason, I self-taught myself to shoot right-handed initially and still do it today.

I'm just the opposite. Right handed with a left predominant eye, and I taught myself to shoot lefty early on. all my guns but one are right handed. A mountaineer .50 (which is really just left stock and safety) only rifle and bow I shoot true lefty, shotgun Ill shoot either side just as well. The switch to left handed bow was a much more recent one, for years I shot that with an unorthodox right handed style

this is the last day of the convention and have not seen any rumors on any thing new from Knight....But what I did hear from a friend who works for S&W which is 10 miles from me ..is that there is talk they may drop the T|C line and may put it for sale since they cant get the market share they expected...they dropped many of the rifles and just kept a few in line models...and the Encore line

Now a fast twist .45 from Knight will be a nice addition...but they don't seem to promote their products either...not like yester year when Tony had Knight...he had adds in most magazines...there are only 2 Knight dealers in my state now...I love my Knights and would get a new .45 fast twist in a second...just have to wait and see....

Yes, I just made a post on the Inline portion of this site about the NRA convention.
Knight did indeed introduce a new rifle - "Knight 500" -45 cal 1:18 in SS. It's in a Boyd laminate stock with black finish as well as an adjustable cheek rest, long beavertail forend and bipod attached. They said they are still working with Boyd to add an adjustable butt. Green Mountain Heavy 28" barrel (that's the rifling part) straight taper from 1.080" at breech to 0.930" at muzzle. They said they paid extra for match grade honing and tolerances with respect to the bore. With scope they said it weighed 11.5#, I thought it felt great. Note - no ramrod provision. This is a target rifle: aka Mini-Creedmoor match at Friendship - 500 yds. They thought the lack of ramrod would avoid conflict with the anti's and ethical thing with respect to hunting since '500' was the name: probably a good idea.
They had a 15% show discount on all their rifles at the show + free shirt, hat, soft gun case and no tax. Witnessed a few sales..
I asked about price on this thing - since it was new they didn't have a definitive price to tell me, but estimated it would be at least in the $1200 range. They said they were still working with Scope mfg to offer. They know me well and know what I've been doing with some of their old 45's, so I think they are working out the same type details on scopes and turrets.. Again, time will tell...
They have nothing on their website about it- but would think they would soon.

Attachments

• NRA 2015 Knight booth.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,610
  • NRA 2015 Knight 500 tag.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,610
  • NRA 2015 Knight 500 bbl.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,610
That is a little disappointing. I was hoping it would be a fast twist .45 but in the Ultra Light platform for hunting. :(

Thanks for the report 52bore...it looks nice but it is to bad they made it more for bench shooting..unless later they offer more options like in a mountaineer or ultra lite version...I wonder if CVA and Traditions held back since they get most of the market share now on ML...
Another thing is..with it being more of a bench rifle it will be an order from Knight mostly as most gun shops deal with the hunter crowds...except specialty shops...and being price at 1200.00 + or - could be an off throw ...you can build a decent SML for that price with a donor...

If they come out with a more practical use 45 I am interested..but strickly a bench version is not on my list...but i will keep my eye on this incase they do make other offers of it...

Not really new. Sounds like its very similar to an offering from the 2006 catalog but in SS.
http://images.ebsco.com/pob/knightrifle ... g-ver2.pdf

DE658B TARGET
Ignition 209 Full Plastic Jacket
Caliber .45
Twist Rates 1:18”
Barrel Finish Blued Heavy
Barrel Length 28”
Weight 8 lbs., 14 oz.
Trigger Fully adjustable Target Trigger
5/16” Wide Trigger Shoe with Creep,
Pull Weight and Overtravel Ajustments
Stock Finish Checkered with Recoil Pad, Sling

Sounds nice but i already have a 11.5lb 45cal ML with a match grade 416R bull barrel. It cost me $900. What i don't have is a sub 7lb fast twist 45cal.

I am sure they will have a bare 209 setup like the mountaineers...I hope they sit down and think this over some and offer a hunting version...and affordable...it would make a nice conical and sabotless rifle...drop the barrel down to 26" and a thumbhole or plain stock and have a great hunting rifle...we shall see...maybe they have more under their hat than we know..I hope so...

Can't help but think today that since the In-line matches have been introduced at the NMLRA that maybe Knight feels the need to compete - again. Their website shows the Cup from Friendship and states winning the Manufactures match 6 years in a row..

I do not have an Ultra-lite, but couldn't one put an older Super Disc into one of these stocks and have a lightweight fast twist 45?

While at the NRA show, I was just glad to see A new ML. Last year it was Remington, this year Knight - maybe we can look forward to who does what next year?

52Bore said:
Can't help but think today that since the In-line matches have been introduced at the NMLRA that maybe Knight feels the need to compete - again. Their website shows the Cup from Friendship and states winning the Manufactures match 6 years in a row..

I do not have an Ultra-lite, but couldn't one put an older Super Disc into one of these stocks and have a lightweight fast twist 45?

While at the NRA show, I was just glad to see A new ML. Last year it was Remington, this year Knight - maybe we can look forward to who does what next year?

Yes and no, Knight does not sell the UL stocks separately and old Super DISCs are hard to come by. Frankly, i would have been more excited by an improved KP1/KPX (ML Only) in a fast twist 45. Their 45/70 barrels would have served this purpose very well. It doesn't take a genius or extensive re-tooling to thread one of them for a breach plug and crown the muzzle.

Im glad they came out with something new also and it would be great to see them get back into competition shooting. Bringing back the Manufactures match would be neat but who else would show. Its not very likely CVA or Traditions would produce a team. T/C has be scaling back the ML dept. for years. That does not leave much, LHR and Remington maybe or semi custom built rifles such as Ultimate Firearms.

Not sure but...... I believe Knight will be showing up at the May 2nd Friendship match. Its been rumored that a rifle will be given away by drawing, from those participating in the shoot itself.

Upper Hand said:
Very quiet.....any fresh news, rumors, gossip, ect to report on these?

If I remember the information correctly there was only 10 of these built with the bulk of them going to the Knight shooting team.

Back