Bench

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
All these years I've been shooting prone off x-sticks (because all my ML matches required prone shooting until this in-line thing) and in June at Friendship someone told me (respected slug gun shooter) if I shot off a bench my 9's will be 10's and my 10's X's.
So, with a new scope on my rifle - I went to the range last evening and tried to get comfortable on a bench with a sandbag and rear bag under my hand. My heart beat was still present, but the results were better than I expected.
Knight Disc 45 fast twist. 85gr Swiss 2F, wad, 500+ GG, SPG lube

Attachments

• 7 11 50.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 756
  • 7 11 100.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 756
Same load as 50 & 100.

Same load, different bullet alloy and wad.

Attachments

• 7 11 200 a.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 755
  • 7 11 200 b.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 755
I think shooting from a bench agrees with you! Damn fine shooting!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Awesome groups you have there :!: :!: :!: Nice going :yeah:

Ray.............

Thinking of building my own bench (somewhat portable), but looking in the internet there are numerous designs. One thing I did not see anywhere was to correlation between the seat height and bench top. To me this seems pretty important to fit the shooter..
Anyone know their seat height and top of bench?

My bench top is 33 1/2" seat 17"
I would love to find a adjustable drummer stool that folds up and has swivel seat

52Bore said:
Thinking of building my own bench (somewhat portable), but looking in the internet there are numerous designs. One thing I did not see anywhere was to correlation between the seat height and bench top. To me this seems pretty important to fit the shooter..
Anyone know their seat height and top of bench?

As a retired ergonomist, this I will tell you........ make it completely adjustable. Problem solved regardless of location or position. What may measure correctly for one person, say the 50th percentile for popliteal height, would be completely uncomfortable to someone of the 40th or 70th percentile. If you ever wanted to youngster or a female to shoot from your bench, adjustability for popliteal height would benefit.

Caldwell had the right idea, however ergonomically the table should be changed/modified. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzJH6jM5g4A

Not suggesting you go with a Caldwell Stable Table, just indicating the adjustability. Don't short yourself or someone who may shoot with you.

Thanks for the link..
I'm not sure what I'm going to do??
Time and motivation will tell as I have a top I wanted to use.. or at least start with.

52Bore said:
Thanks for the link..
I'm not sure what I'm going to do??
Time and motivation will tell as I have a top I wanted to use.. or at least start with.

Not sure if you noticed at Friendship the modification I made to the top on my Caldwell, but I added an arm/elbow extension. The extension worked much better than without it. That seat as you can tell, is adjustable for height. This would benefit you and maybe a child or lady, in that it adjusts for height.

You can see the adjustability in the seat height in this photo.

Just a suggestion.......... Not meaning or suggesting that you purchase this bench, just wanted to show the seat adjustability for height. :wink:

I like your added arm rest.
Stopped at my local range to see if their was a bench at 300 on the 1000yd line- no. There is one at 600 & 1000.
So,now I'm thinking that my bench might need to allow me to reload off of as well...
Thanks for the measurements and options available.

That is a nice shooting platform. It looks easy to move around too. All my shooting days, its been off homemade or cobbled tables and an assortment of gun rests. That looks like the final thing a person would need. I might have to see if my friend can build me one. Really an excellent design. It looks like an old school house desk on steroids.

Took my $9 bench and went to the range. It's still not finished, but close.
Stopped by my local truss shop and asked if they had any non-sellable LVL's (1.75" laminate). They gave me 2 -5' long for free. Bought a 2x6 from HD to make my legs.
Weather has been so nice, I just had to get to the range. So, took my Super Duper Disc to try this bench thing out to see how it feels.

Shot 3 shots in the same hole, first one as good as the last. Packed it back up as the pistol guys were showing up to shoot and I was on their range - BP is also allowed on this range.

Attachments

• Bench.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 387
  • 50 530.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 387

Latest posts

Back