How far is too far for Elk?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djl5427

Reaction score
Im going on an Elk hunt in NM and I'm wanting some input on hard far is too far to shoot at an Elk and get good penetration. I'm shooting a T/C Encore, with 120 grains BH powder and a Barnes 290 grain TMZ with a Harvester Crush rib sabot. I know I need to stay away from the shoulder at certain yardages to avoid the risk of hitting it and not get penetration also. Any thought?

All I can say is do your homework with your bullet performance/load (ballistics) and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE...

Some of the elk hunters here might chime in on thoughts as to the min energy you might consider.

Djl5427 said:
Im going on an Elk hunt in NM and I'm wanting some input on hard far is too far to shoot at an Elk and get good penetration. I'm shooting a T/C Encore, with 120 grains BH powder and a Barnes 290 grain TMZ with a Harvester Crush rib sabot. I know I need to stay away from the shoulder at certain yardages to avoid the risk of hitting it and not get penetration also. Any thought?

Never hunted elk...........

That said,,,, researching a little, many indicate 1,500fpe is necessary while a others indicate great shot placement and 1,000fpe is sufficient. It appears there can be considerable differences of opinions between elk hunters about the required bullet energy. However what they all agree on is proper shot placement.

Using the 1,500fpe data indicated by many, 225yds would be your maximum range to maintain approximately 1,500fpe. Barnes indicates that bullet will expand properly down to 1,100 fps, and at 225yds the bullet velocity remains fast enough to exceed that minimum. This may not be the answer to how far is to far, but gives you ballistic data based on the short search energy requirements.

Practice, practice, practice from hunting positions, not just off a lead sled or the similar. Good luck.

Thanks guys, that's great input and I am going to continue to do some research and keep shooting!

So, did you get one? Tell us the story. I shot a cow a few years back with 150 grains behind the Barnes 290 gr tipped bullet. It was 150 yards, and it dropped the elk, but It took another shot to finish. It did not exit. Barnes always expand just like the picture, but 290 grains just doesn't have that high sectional density for deep penetration. But, if yu hit them right, sometimes you don't need that much.

Latest posts

Back