Never quite seen

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Never seen a winter and spring like this for the area. April 1st and we still have piles of snow 4' deep around the drive, even after this warm weather and torrential rains! Talked to an 80 year young local, who told me in all his years, never has he seen this type of winter and spring. Been just as anxious as anyone to get out shoot'n long range and knock some of the rust off. Another round of snow with this next front coming this weekend. Maybe by June the range roads will finally be passable. :(
Wanted to work with a different load and have Leupold create a new CDS turret. Guess it'll be late summer.

Here on the coast snow doesn't usually last long. too much salt, and the ocean keeps a few degrees warmer. about 25-30 miles inland it starts to even out, so, usually winter is a few degrees milder, and summer is mostly a few degrees cooler. I dont think the ground froze here except for maybe 2-3 weeks all winter. One or 2 snows that really amounted to much, and even a bad one is usually gone in a week or 2. times when its frozen at home, I can go 100 miles offshore and be in the gulf stream, and work in a T shirt in 60's-70 deg f. This year, the bays never even froze. (maybe got slushy a few times, but I dont think any real ice) Its just been blowing 20-40 for 3 weeks straight with no end in sight. I think the one day in the last few weeks it was only blowing 15 I ran for the range. And it seemed like EVERYONE else was there too. :)

I "may" have found another club, a little further away though, that has long range shooting. It may be a better option as far as accessibility this time of year, I may check it out today. They obviously have 100yd ranges, but it appears they have a 300 and 600yd range. Rather that also includes a 200 to 500yd range is the question.
http://ioscosportsmen.com/wurtsmith_photos1.htm

I have trying to make a range trip for about three weeks now. I have a, new to me, MK85 that I have tricked out with a set of XS Sites and the new vent lined BP from Knight. The rifle is NIB and I am anxious to shoot it. Unfortunately things have prevented me from going until now. Today I have the time, but it is 32 and snowing. Now normally this doesn't bother me. I often shoot in the dead of winter winter with single digit temps. But it has been so warm this spring, with a lot of days in the 50's and 60's, I have lost my cold tolerance.

So maybe next weekend! :D

ENCORE50A said:
I "may" have found another club, a little further away though, that has long range shooting. It may be a better option as far as accessibility this time of year, I may check it out today. They obviously have 100yd ranges, but it appears they have a 300 and 600yd range. Rather that also includes a 200 to 500yd range is the question.
http://ioscosportsmen.com/wurtsmith_photos1.htm

Took the ride.. Unfortunately its either 100, 300 or 600 and no in-between. The 600yd range can only be shot when a specific individual is there. Access is great though.

Well........ this darn weather!!!! Seems that the jet stream wanted to put us in the middle of itself, thus dumping another 14" of heavy wet snow. Last night it went down to 16°, so it made it a little easier to move last night's snow. Again :evil:
Unfortunately the robins came back too early, actually it was their normal time, yet they're dying all over the place.

I've determined that long range practice for the Friendship shoot is going to be completely out of the question in this area. Hoping to leave early and practice Friday down there.
Watch what happens next. That jet stream will move and it'll get so hot and humid, you can't stand it.

We got more snow but nothing like you did. I too saw Robins in the yard and had to laugh at them. A little early I thought. They said 3-6 inches today, so that's nothing to get excited about. But maybe some warm weather would be nice.

We got 5inches last night in lower Michigan over a foot at my cabin in northern Michigan

FASHOOTER said:
We got 5inches last night in lower Michigan over a foot at my cabin in northern Michigan

Well depending on where your cabin is, they're expecting an additional 3 to 5" tomorrow. :wink:

SO......... TIRED OF THIS SPRING WEATHER! More snow coming today. Again!
Every time we get a little warmth and the snow settles, it snows again. After this weekend, it'll be all mud. Again.
It appears there'll be no practice, short of leaving a couple days early for the match.

Back