Challenge shoot in August

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfer

Reaction score
The famous "Kentucky Challenge" shoot is set for August. I would recommend that anyone who wants to see the really good guns and shooters attend. The food is great and a plenty of it. The information on SML and high end smokers/BH209 guns and shooting is incredible. All are welcome. The shooters and target scores shot are kinda unbelievable unless you are there. It was a 9 hour drive for me from here in VA and well worth the time for me. Didn't compete last year but on the list this go around. It is just amazing the advances in SML since the Savage ML first came about. The latest advances and old stand buys will all be at the "challenge". Remember, safety 1st, then accuracy!

This link should have all the info you need.
http://hanksmessageboard.freeforums.net ... nformation

W

I Keep saying next one, BUT for me, it will have to be a spring shoot. when It gets above ~75f, I become a human sprinkler system. I couldn't keep things dry for love or money. I have to hang up shooting from about now on, and just call it fishing season.

I have been to 2 of these shoots and had a great time.
Good food, fun competition and lots of good guy willing to share their knowledge with you.
Hopefully I can make the fall shoot.

I have been to the last two shoots and is a great time and great bunch of guys. Not to mention the food is awesome! :D

Some days my shooting accuracy is better or worse. As you see the food is always good! I'm putting some touches on a couple of guns to get ready. They are hunting guns and not bench guns but I should be able to make a decent showing. W

Does anyone have an update as it was held this past weekend?
I heard it was a good turnout and shoot.
I received a photo of the scores from one of the participants, but too blurry to make it all out.

These are center to center 3 shot groups. Winner
100 yds. .268
200 yds .650
300 yds .1.030
400 yds 1.271
These are actual not moa.
overall winner had a 4 distance center to center group of 3.972
Or average group size .993
Wow!!!
Also was shot for score with100 yd target 1" x ring at all distances which winner scored 115 - 6x out of 120 - 12x.

Best blackhorn groups
100. .406. Scott Rauch
200. 1.200. Greg Fisk
300. 3.800. Scott RaucH
400. 4.100. Jeff Fisk

Scott is shooting zombie gun. All Bestill Creations

Thanks
I've thought this to be an unlimited match?
Also, accumulated scores - is that 100+200+300+400 (combined smallest group) = winner?

It is currently an unlimited match. The spring shoot will likely have a hunter class(less than 15 lbs.) and a bench rest class(over 15 pounds) and possibly a break open class if enough participants. As Doug has said also talk of a powder class as well. There is a average group winner 100+200+300+400 divided by 4 to get smallest average group for all four distances. Then there is a highest score winner for the total score of all four distances. The person with the lowest total finishing place is the overall winner. Jeff Hankins finished 2nd in group and 1st in score with a combined lowest score of 3 to win the overall.

Hunter class 15# ?
Thanks for the info, that helps clarify some as I couldn't figure out all the 'stuff' from the photo I have.

Match results. Not sure if this can be seen very well but it is the only pic I have from my phone.

It's a great time . Everyone is very nice and helpful . The biggest thing that I learned is that I have a lot to learn ! Great food , great atmosphere and friendly competition . If anyone can make the Spring event they will not be disappointed! It's way more about the fellowship than anything else .

Back