Barrel length

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcat2

Reaction score
Well it's been a while, but finally my Alexander Henry build is done and hope to be on the range for some test loads for the Oakridge shoot.Got a Kelly sight yet to mount. To my topic guestions is the barrel had to be breechd twice ,and the time I got finished my barrel length is 31" to the face of the breech blug. Again this is a greenmountain 450/458 ,18 twist barrel. Is this long enough to stabilize the long 530gr.bullet. Any advice on a good shight procedure would be appreciated. Got a room reservation made in Tennessee just incase I can shoot this gun respectively. Thanks.

The 1-18" Twist will be great for stabilizing 530 bullet, a longer barrel may give you a few more fps and a longer sight radius but would have little to do with stabilizing.

Saxtonyoung said:
The 1-18" Twist will be great for stabilizing 530 bullet, a longer barrel may give you a few more fps and a longer sight radius but would have little to do with stabilizing.

Barrel length is ok twist is what matters for the bullet

OK ,thanks for the data.45 I will look back on my posts and get the load info you suggested. Will post some pictures if I can figure that move out. Thanks.

Ted Greer from NC came to Oak Ridge the 1st time with a custom buggy rifle with a 26" barrel - shot lights out..

wildcat2 said:
To my topic guestions is the barrel had to be breechd twice ,and the time I got finished my barrel length is 31" to the face of the breech blug.
Just an FYI. Hook breech barrels are measured from the tang/breech plug joint (Not including the tang extension). Bill Curtis (UK - Firearms museum coordinator) told me this years ago as he referenced from the Enfield manual.

WE NEED A PHOTO OF YOUR NEW RIFLE !!!!!!

Thanks for the info.wow 26 inch barrel. Be going to the range soon, will post results. Got three different bullets from BAC. To try.

Latest posts

Back