The Best

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Thanks for the new topic:
This type rifle may not be for everyone, but since this is the first post here, thought I'd do it with one of the best - if not the best.
George Gibbs-Metford 0.461" match rifle with sights in leather box, Gain twist estimated to finish at about 1:18. Most percussion match rifles were plain with little or no engraving - made for shooting. Ones fully engraved are just not seen much.
Notice the worn case, but it has protected the rifle in its 150 year life.
Not shown is the hand balance scale that was in the case. Gun was imported into the USA in the late 40's - early 50's, been our family since. Too bad not my immediate one.

Attachments

• Gibbs pic 4.jpg
    Gibbs pic 4.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 685
  • Gibbs pic full.JPG
    Gibbs pic full.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 685
Re: One of the Best

Forgot to mention, these match rifles had to be less than 10 pounds with a 3 pound min trigger pull.

What a treasure. I never could get into Hawken/plains rifles or Kentucky long rifles. The British knew how to make a muzzleloader whether a target or sporting rifle.

crowhunter1: Sorry to tell you, but I never got the nerve to push my uncle to shoot it. I think he did before I was an adult and he really got me into Vintage ML. We would study it and learn.. He really prouded himself to built, restore, make stuff like these guys did. I can't imagine a better hobby than ML.
But, I have shot this one a lot in multiple positions! - until I could afford to buy an original for myself.
This one is an Alexander Henry 2-position 0.451" 9-groove.

Attachments

• Henry 2 position pic1.jpg
    Henry 2 position pic1.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 681

Alexander Henry Sporting Rifle 0.451"

Attachments

• A Henry Bill sporting copy.jpg
    A Henry Bill sporting copy.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 682
  • A Henry Bill pic 3 copy.jpg
    A Henry Bill pic 3 copy.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 683

Inside lock of another Alex Henry Sporting/Target Rifle - 0.451"
IMO, This is a very important factor that differentiates/separates an original vs repo/kit.

And the inside is just as perfect as the outside.

Attachments

• AH 791 lock b copy.jpg
    AH 791 lock b copy.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 684
  • AH 791 mortise a copy.jpg
    AH 791 mortise a copy.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 678

I ask 52 bores Uncle once to make me a lock. He just laughed and said son I would be glad to. You just wouldn't be able to afford what I would have to charge you. He was one Fine Man and one of the best shots. I learned a lot from him on how to compete. Forgot , One way to tell a fine English Lock is when it comes to full cock it stops , no over travel

Those rifles are really cool i absolutley love original rifles from that time period . It is absolutley amazing what they were doing over 100 years ago and doing it well .

So it sounds like Alexander Henry is the best gun/ copy ? I have been doing some research but honestly dont understand everything im reading . Everyone has their favorite that should be coppied . I realize its kind of a personal choice .

Man i would love to have a original . I should of never started asking questions . If a person could find a good original will they shoot with todays repos ? Also it was said that original locks are better/ different than reproductions. How so and does the reproductions work as good as the originals ?

Im sorry for being so ignorant and asking all the questions . I would like to do this correct once unlike several of my other endeavors

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Man i would love to have a original . I should of never started asking questions . If a person could find a good original will they shoot with todays repos ? Also it was said that original locks are better/ different than reproductions. How so and does the reproductions work as good as the originals ?
Im sorry for being so ignorant and asking all the questions . I would like to do this correct once unlike several of my other endeavors

In this LR section, look for 'New Whitworth'. recently sold at auction. One could not touch that price today if building one of that quality.
Originals can and do shoot with repos - obviously it's all about the bore condition with any gun.

It just amazing how well the did that inleting, like they were done on a cnc. And remember the light working quality was no where close to the lighting we have today.Hope to see one in person when I get to some shoots .

A few Whitworth's from Oak Ridge Match.

Attachments

• 2018 Rack W muzzles.jpg
    2018 Rack W muzzles.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 2018 Rack W.jpg
    2018 Rack W.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 213
Whitworth Military Target Rifle.
C-series, era 1860’s
Lots of photos to be used in an article for NMLRA MuzzleBlast magazine.

Good visit with an old friend..

F2B58B09-5888-46E1-995A-86A3EA01E4D8.jpeg

8F77F5B5-AEF3-4803-9ABE-E7D47AD2E650.jpeg

Back