Readying for 400 Yard

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last summer i found a place where i could shoot 400 yard. The drawback is, it involves shooting on an open ridge, where it seems the wind always blows. Even so, we had great fun shooting shooken pop cans with our AR rifles, but never did try shooting a muzzle loader there. A desire to shoot a muzzle loader at that spot has been growing.

The Optima i have been shooting this year seems to shoot moa, so it would seem it might work out at 400 yard. The scope mounted on the rifle has an elevation dial that is readily reset to zero, and the dial can be spun around and around so for to reach 400 yard.

IMG_0119.JPG

A calculator was used to see how much the elevation dial would have to be turned, to reach 400 yard.

400calc.jpg

The calculator say to dial up 33 moa for this load to reach 400 yard. However, when i turned the dial it would only go 2 turns, and then reached the end of adjustment. So... i removed the scope, and shimmed the base with a piece of shim stock.

IMG_0117.JPG

Afterward, with the rifle unmoved, the elevation dial was turned down to set the cross hair at near the same place it was before the shim was added. The elevation dial was loosened, and set to zero. Then the elevation dial was turned up until it topped out, which thankfully revealed, there is plenty of adjustment left, to reach 400 yard.

Now... it is time to sight the rifle in again at 100 yard, and develop a load. Hopefully a day will come thereafter, with minimal wind, which will allow a try at the 400 yard shot.

ronlaughlin said:
Last summer i found a place where i could shoot 400 yard. The drawback is, it involves shooting on an open ridge, where it seems the wind always blows. Even so, we had great fun shooting shooken pop cans with our AR rifles, but never did try shooting a muzzle loader there. A desire to shoot a muzzle loader at that spot has been growing.

The Optima i have been shooting this year seems to shoot moa, so it would seem it might work out at 400 yard. The scope mounted on the rifle has an elevation dial that is readily reset to zero, and the dial can be spun around and around so for to reach 400 yard.

IMG_0119.JPG

Now you are cooking, your bullet might be a little light but with little wind you will be all right

A calculator was used to see how much the elevation dial would have to be turned, to reach 400 yard.

400calc.jpg

The calculator say to dial up 33 moa for this load to reach 400 yard. However, when i turned the dial it would only go 2 turns, and then reached the end of adjustment. So... i removed the scope, and shimmed the base with a piece of shim stock.

IMG_0117.JPG

Afterward, with the rifle unmoved, the elevation dial was turned down to set the cross hair at near the same place it was before the shim was added. The elevation dial was loosened, and set to zero. Then the elevation dial was turned up until it topped out, which thankfully revealed, there is plenty of adjustment left, to reach 400 yard.

Now... it is time to sight the rifle in again at 100 yard, and develop a load. Hopefully a day will come thereafter, with minimal wind, which will allow a try at the 400 yard shot.

might want to find a ballistic program and put in your parameters and make you a range card from 100 yds. zero. JBM is good one and free on internet

If you have 1/4" clicks (15min/rev), then it sounds like you have 1 click less than 45 min.
You stated you need 33 min, then it seems you're on your way to 400 easily.

If you have a 1" scope then you probably have about 10min below your 100 setting.
Good luck

Back