Bedding advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rio

Reaction score
I have done one other stock, but I diddnt relieve it before I bedded so the results weren't anything noticeable. This time it's got to be right. Bedding my 700 ml action into my boyds stock. How much do you take out of the stock to make way for bedding and any other advice you may have. Thanks.

Do a web search for
Art of stock bedding Richard Franklin

Great tutorial video

Probably depending on what bedding material you are planning on using.
Acruglas states you need 1/16" - I believe.
Honestly I think the thinner (viscus) the bedding material (before it hardens), the thinner the area needed between the parts.

I like to go 1/16 to 1/8 in. I bed from the back of the barrel to 3 in. in front of the recoil lug, with the Knights with 1 recoil lug you need to dremel the Ramp just in front of the trigger assembly and bed that area also, it keep the barrel from rocking back and forth. I also drill anchor points along the bedding at a 45 degree angle for strength. I found with the APEX I had to bed the whole forearm, the forearm is held to the barrel with 2 screws, under recoil the forearm flex to much and accuracy was lost. Find yourself an old stock to hone your bedding.

Thanks

Bestil I found that page. I think I will have to tape the crap out of mine, I still have a factory barrel in a bull barrel stock.

On the Remington actions is pillar bedding the way to go?

As long as you bed action and past recoil lug to where barrel starts taper the extra clearance wont hurt accuracy. Only cosmetics.
Imo pillars are definitely the way to go.

Dumb question, without the jig kits that cost hundreds of dollars what is the best way to get the holes for the pillars perfect?

I would think there are competent gunsmiths there that could do this. In the alternative I would think you could purchase from Brownell's the accu gel and do it your self. It really is not that difficult.
Richard's Microfit stocks sells one piece stocks with an oversize inlet of 1/16 inch (about 1.5 mm) specifically for being glass bedded. I usually like a bit more space but a bit less than 1/8 inch (about 3 mm). Hope that helps some.

I just bedded my Knight Bighorn action with JB Weld and Vaseline for release agent. Worked better than any time I have ever used Accra Glass!! For $5.00 in top of it!!!!!! I just used he two plunger syringe set up and put it all into the packaging. I had plenty left over and bedded 4" in front of lug to back of tang. The set up was very predictable and I let it sit for 50 minutes before putting in stock. Perfect flow and consistency for me. I pulled it after 24hrs and it came right out with not one issue! Now to see if it helps or not.

Back