Wiping between shots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokejones

Reaction score
My rifle shoots remarkably better if I wipe between shots (which should probably not come as a surprise).

So now I'm looking for ideas on what to use for wiping solution.

If you're someone who runs a wet patch down the bore between shots in a match, what do you use on the patches?

thanks

Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine works excellent for BP substitutes or BP. I use it exclusively. One patch between shots and not a really wet patch. Only a slightly damp patch works.

I still us Spit with Black. Damp, but I can't ring anything out of it. One damp (wipe just above bottom of breech until it feels smooth), then one dry.
Cotton flannel.
These guys have given you some other ways, try and land on what works best for you.
You've already figured out you group better by wiping.

Lots of good suggestions, and I have Butch's, can make Moose Milk, and (if the weather gets wetter around here) can probably muster some spit :)

Off to do some experimenting.

Thank you!

Using fffg 777 I just spit a patch and reverse it for a drying patch. I think as with most things, a consistant process will help you get the best results. only change one thing at a time and measure until you get consitancy (doesn't mean the desired result). If the result isn't a positive change back and change something else.

I have used so many different things to swab a bore. Originally I mixed Windshield washer fluid with a little water and then some Isopropyl alcohol. Then I got lazy and just used Windex. I have used spit. I have used pure 70% isopropyl alcohol in winter. I have used moose milk. Just about anything that is handy. I also once found Rusty Duck on sale at a Wal Mart close out. So I bought them out of the stuff. I used that too to swab and to clean the rifles.

The main thing is, don't get the patch wet. Just damp. Work in short strokes down the bore. It helps not getting a patch stuck and it scrubs the bore better.

Cayuga, do you do the short swipes down the bore every time? or just the first wet patch? I can see the merits and philosophy. Ive always been a all the way down and out one smooth stroke kind of swabber. :D

I have heard that it doesn't make a difference. Apparently you found that to not be true?

I always use just enough Windex to dampen the patch, send it down once on each side and give it a couple minutes to evaporate. I have great success with it!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Windex is a good option. Another solution that I currently use is a moose milk - by volume 20 parts distilled H2O, 1 part Murphy Oil Soap and 1 part Ballistols. Get twenty BP shooters together and likely to find thirty or forty wiping solutions. Try a few until until you find something that works for you and then stick with it.

OP states that 'my rifle shoots remarkably better if I wipe between shots'. What is OP wiping with? How good is remarkably better? Group size? Again, if it works, stick with it.

Latest posts

Back