Raising the comb

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Through a little trial and error, I found that raising up the comb might just help, even just a little, with long range accuracy. With the weather, there's no range time, so the next best thing is to practice one's shooting form for something to do.
With an important shoot this coming year that can only be shot prone, learning to do that, something never done before, is a learning experience. A couple things I discovered. Without my PAST recoil pad, I would have to move the scope slightly forward for proper eye relief. With the pad, I still get acceptable eye relief. While getting down and up to the rifle, it just seemed as though I was having to arch my back and neck WAY TO MUCH. It was actually discomforting. Paying a little more attention, I noticed it most likely had to do with the comb not being high enough. Sure enough, I found a piece of foam and placed it into position and it helped, big time.
I found another better piece of foam, one that I could cut pieces from that I could get a proper height with. Once I determined the height, I also checked it off the bench, which worked out really well. Next was what to use to keep the foam in place. I've seen many rifle's with raised combs, where the shooter just used black tape. Just didn't appeal to use black electrical tape. So another though came to mind about using athletic self-adhesive stretch tape. A trip to town to one of the athletic stores and I found 3" black. After returning home and a few trial locations, I finally had it wrapped. IMO it looks much better than using black electrical tape. Now if it helps..........

a1smokepole said:
I use this on all my gun even TH. https://www.beartooth-products.com/coll ... weld-piece and I have seen better groups as will using a comb raiser with scopes. what I do is close my eyes and mount the gun were it files natural then open eyes and see were your eyes are raise or lower to what feels good for you.

A higher comb wasn't really "necessary" shooting long range from the bench, but shooting prone, I see its going to be a necessity.
Speaking of shooting prone...... this is a new adventure. I'll take all the tips anyone wants to give about shooting prone to 600yds.....

I'd love to give you some imput but I'm sure you have forgotten more than I know ! When is your big shoot ? How is the structure ? I'm sure you'll get things figured out . I just had a Hernia fixed last Thursday because I'm planning on doing some prone shooting myself . Something I was putting off but could not put off any longer .Good luck with the shoot give us some details

I think prone ML shooting at long range is one of the most difficult shooting sports.
Head position is like anything else - repetition.

No doubt in 1871 they felt the need to adapt elevating cheek rest to their ML for LR shooting.

Attachments

• AH Cheek.jpg
    AH Cheek.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 147
Back