Clean vrs dirty

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougs136Schwartz

Reaction score
I'm just curios if others have experienced this . My Knight 500 and my fast twist .45 Mountaineer shoots much better dirty . That bugs the crap out of me . Both guns I shoot sabot less. I have tried all different kind of wads, powder charges and bullet sizes . I just cannot get it to shoot as good clean (when I say clean I'm talking wiping between shots not a full cleaning ) . That just seems strange because ALL of my other guns shoot better clean . Has anyone else experience this ?

Some rifles just like a dirty barrel. The bullet, weather it be slip fit or saboted or smooth sized, gets a better "bite" on the lands. My Whites are all slip fit, and the dirtier the barrel the better they shoot. What powder? How easy do the two rifles load dirty?

I'm using Blackhorn at pretty much max load . The 500 1-18 twist likes 300 grain bullets and the Mountaineer 1-20 twist likes 275 grain bullets . I'm shooting Parkers and Pittman bullets . Triled all different thicknesses of wads and without wads. Shouldn't worry about it but it bugs the crap out of me .

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I'm using Blackhorn at pretty much max load . The 500 1-18 twist likes 300 grain bullets and the Mountaineer 1-20 twist likes 275 grain bullets . I'm shooting Parkers and Pittman bullets . Triled all different thicknesses of wads and without wads. Shouldn't worry about it but it bugs the crap out of me .

Doug, the Pro Hunter I wish I'd never sold and couldn't buy back for gold, did the same thing. The more it was shot with BH the better it shot, always without swabbing between shots. Short of POI, it shot 250's and 290gr Barnes "lights out".
I tested bullet forces to load and all sabot/bullets loaded at the same force, averaging 52fpf.

Why would you really be surprised as modern CF don't clean between shots.

Latest posts

Back