Longer Range PaperPatch 45 needs + Elevation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themoose

Reaction score
Got a beginner question for you...I'm an old codger who wants to shoot a scoped inline to the ranges I used to shoot my sharps 45-70 with silhouettes amd mid-range sights.. that means a minimum of 500 yds... I also want to shoot a paper patched 400gr lead bullet... not interested in shooting 185gr saboted bullets... so I need plenty of room for extreme drop...

I want to play with my Knight 45(original Disc) converted to bare primer 209 to shoot steel out to 500 yds. I don't try to break any speed records and shoot a 400gr paper patched cast bullet ahead of 80 grains T7 or BH209 around 1400fps... I just put a Konuspro M30 Mildot scope on it to see what I could do @ extended ranges... but quickly ran out of adjustment for elevation... as rifle is currently set up I am a full 2 MOA low @ 200 yds....I mounted the scope with Leupold rings and quick release bases... what do I need to do to get another 14-16 MOA to reach out to 500? Thought of trying one of my SWFA Sniper scopes 10x42 or 3x15 but thought I may have the same problem...

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Themoose

I'm not sure how much total elevation your scope has?
Does it have mil dots for additional elevation?
Most 30mm tubes have at least 85moa, some more with lower magnification like the SWFA 10x has 150moa I believe.
With your current ring/base setup, your stuck as I was once was with that setup. Actually, I recall having only 16moa above my zero and 68moa below, flipped the rings and same issue, that's a lot of waisted moa below my zero - I wondered if the barrel was bent.. Changed to Burris Signature Series rings; with changeable inserts (upto 20moa) to cant the scope..
Another way would be a 20moa Picatinny rail with 20moa (EGW now makes Knight rails).

52bore

I found EGW Knight rail, but not 20MOA for Knight.... can you give me the part or sku number please?

How did you get 20MOA with the ZEE rings? I'm old and not the sharpest knife in the drawer these days..are you setting the front ring adjustment to the lowest point and the rear ring adjustment to the tallest?

Thanks,

Themoose

My apology, I just looked at my EGW rail and it is a O-moa. I now recall the conversation with the employee on the phone asking for a 20 moa - not yet. Call and ask, maybe they start making them if they get request.

Burris inserts come in multiple MOA, +5,-5; +10,-10; +20,-20. I believe in both 1" & 30mm. So yes, you can lower the front, raise the back or both. As I recall on my Leupold AR tactical on one of my Super Disc, I have a -10 in the front and +20 in the rear and I get nearly all the 56 moa out of the 1" scope. My rings are med height. 20/20 = 40 moa will require high rings with a 40mm objective.
You should find this easier on a 30mm tube, you can play with inserts for what fits your setup.

With my Leupold, i got a custom turret calibrated to my load. So, range the Turkey Silhouette at 400, turn the dial and shoot...
Good luck

Thanks 52Bore for the update.. I appreciate it... think I will look into the inserts...

Back