Another one of those days...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
You'd think, that when shooting the exact same bullet and sabot, with the rifle zeroed at 100yds and using 180grs, that when you dropped down to 150grs that it might shoot close to the same. Well when dropping to 150grs from 180, it shot 4" high. Top that off, 1.5" right. Drop it down further to 120grs and the elevation remains the same as 150, but now its again 1.5" right. Makes you pay attention to your form.
There are days I just scratch my head........... :huh?:

Are the 3 top sabots the heavier load? They look tattered around the base. The 3 bottom look good. Wonder what the chrono difference is between the loads. Could be, the heavy load, If it isnt fully efficient in burn, and or blowby might not be better then than a lighter load fully controlled. :think:

Squeeze said:
Are the 3 top sabots the heavier load? They look tattered around the base. The 3 bottom look good. Wonder what the chrono difference is between the loads. Could be, the heavy load, If it isnt fully efficient in burn, and or blowby might not be better then than a lighter load fully controlled. :think:

Exact same charge, exact same bullet, exact same sabot. I'll make you think about it for a bit..... :wink:

Top 3 were shot as usual through the brake. Bottom 3 were shot without the brake.
With the skirts expanded, they tear when going through the brake.

I have the same thing occur with my brake. It has not hurt deer accuracy however.

Does it make a plastic mess in the brake holes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Does it make a plastic mess in the brake holes?

Good question, but no, it does not leave a plastic mess in the radial brake ports.
The brake will have propellant fouling, which soaks off in a bottle of Butch's BPBS without scrubbing. There's no visible evidence of remnants from the sabots.

No plastic mess. That's good.

Interesting photo, actually a good one.
Joe Hill (NMLRA current President) swore he was hit in the neck from a piece of sabot (shot from a youth with a muzzle break), I was shooting beside him and recall his reaction on the report of the youth ML on the other side of him. It just made a big welt, but your photo seems to confirm our suspicions.
Be careful who's next to you..

52Bore said:
Interesting photo, actually a good one.
Joe Hill (NMLRA current President) swore he was hit in the neck from a piece of sabot (shot from a youth with a muzzle break), I was shooting beside him and recall his reaction on the report of the youth ML on the other side of him. It just made a big welt, but your photo seems to confirm our suspicions.
Be careful who's next to you..

If it might happen, it would most likely be caused from a tactical brake. A tactical brake could possibly send a piece of sabot rearward/sides which is where the blast goes. The tactical brakes do not have the number of small ports that radial brakes contain and going entirely around the end of the barrel. Radials do not send the charge rearward. Would never say it couldn't happen, but if he was behind the line and the youth was shooting a tactical brake, it very well could have. Radial brake, just my opinion, I highly doubt.

Based on the photo - the sabot bases of the ones thru the muzzle-break appear to be shredded and one would think those pieces are going somewhere.
Joe was ready to fire from his bench and the the young ML was shooting on a bench about 8-10 feet away to Joe's left.

52Bore said:
Based on the photo - the sabot bases of the ones thru the muzzle-break appear to be shredded and one would think those pieces are going somewhere.
Joe was ready to fire from his bench and the the young ML was shooting on a bench about 8-10 feet away to Joe's left.

If you look closely at the photo, the skirts lost very little and it would shred into a powder. With a radial brake, that powder, isn't going to fly 8-10 feet away and strike someone making a "large welt". Any of the fine particles from a radial brake will not be flying rearward either. I've shot enough on snow and never have found pieces of sabot skirt. There are no pieces in the brake after shooting.

Now if the youngster was using a tactical brake which directs the blast to the sides and rearward, then it may be possible, if the youngster was using sabots. I'm not saying Joe didn't get hit by something or anything, but without finding and identifying exactly what it may have been, he would be the first that I'm aware of, that may have been hit by a piece of sabot. Something that leaves a "large welt" from 8-10' away, would most likely have some significant size. Maybe from a tactical, but IMO not from a radial.

Back