Blow back on TC Encore 50 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently I noticed while shooting my old TC Encore 50 cal, about a dozen rounds, the breech plug and the area around where the action and barrel meet outside was really fouled. I guess I haven't notice it before being that bad because I normally fire only a few times before I clean the breech and barrel. I do swab the barrel between every shots, and I am using 100 grains of lose 777 and Remington ML Primers pushing a Shockwave .250 grain sabot. That combination shoots really well for me and I like it. I have a new breech plug and it is the old type without an rubber O ring on the back side of the breech plug. I am wondering if I should be getting considerable fouling that is blowing back like this and if this is normal.

Should I try and minimize it with rubber O rings in the primer pocket, change powders, or do I have a headspace problem? Some has suggested Blackhorn and CCI mag primers. Would BH help eliminate the blow back?

Any suggestions is appreciated!

Blowback is bad. Changing powders will not cure problem. See link. There is a sticky about shimming the 209 primer pocket. Having a very slight "crush fit" primer will cure the blowback problem. O-ring in bottom of primer pocket is another way. Going to BH209 and proper fitting primer is better. There are charts that show primer size and easy to google. Thinking the win 209 is longest and then CCI and then federal. See link and get a proper fitting primer/breechplug combo and the blowback will be history. If your bullet/sabot fits properly tight then using regular 209 primers is best. W

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28388

You should not be getting that much blow by with a new breech plug. The longest shotgun primers are the Winchester 209: These are the primers you should be using. You should remove the breech face and firing pin and clean them up. Don't lose the small spring.

Back