Long range with a peep

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Talking someone about long range hunting made me want to practice gong shooting with open sights . I think my old eyes probably will keep me from experiencing success anymore but I am going to try anyway
Gonna try to see if I can bang a gong at 300 yards and beyond ( 15 inch gong ) with a peep sight . My old eyes are not good anymore but I am going to work at it and see . For this experiment I am going to use my 1:18 twist Coyote Omega and shoot 270 emax bullets sabotless . I have a Lyman 90 MJT rear sight with a Lipski quick release base that mounts on scope rail . For the front I have a PhoenixPrecision with a Centra 22 mm Iris with 2.0 to 4.5 aperture .
Load will be 130 gr by volume blackhorn 209 ( this is not a factory barrel so I can exceed max mfg recommended charge of 120 gr )

Granted my eyes are a shade younger than yours but iv had your old 410 on the gong a couple times at 422 yards with a peep sight. Your setup looks a little more precise than mine also.

As a judge on a show about knife making always says ... "I believe it will kill." That really is a nice set up you have there. It is going to be an interesting test. Reading history journals and accounts it talks about "sharpshooters" in the Revolutionary War that shot "open sights" and hit British officers (their favorite target) at 300 yards with their flintlocks. So I am sure you can pull this off. Paper targets at that distance, should be a very interesting day.

Fmfdred56 said:
Granted my eyes are a shade younger than yours but iv had your old 410 on the gong a couple times at 422 yards with a peep sight. Your setup looks a little more precise than mine also.
Glad to know that White is working out for you :) I should never have parted with it :) but I guess I will get over it , especially tomorrow when my baby arrives .

Fmfdred56 said:

What sight set up are you using on the White?

I bought a 45 cal. Super 91 from Chet and am looking at my options for the front sight. The stock red fiber optic covers to much of the target at over 200 yards. I am using the Lyman target peep sight on the rear.

Thanks
Mark

warrbuk said:
Fmfdred56 said:

What sight set up are you using on the White?

I bought a 45 cal. Super 91 from Chet and am looking at my options for the front sight. The stock red fiber optic covers to much of the target at over 200 yards. I am using the Lyman target peep sight on the rear.

Thanks
Mark
You might try a sub 6 o'clock hold. That works better for me than a 6 or a center except with my aperture sight then I use a center hold . Try sub 6 and see if it helps

No doubt they both will shoot.
I definitely like your omega with sights.
But extreme accuracy with scope the Remington platform is just hard to beat.

Anxious to see your results.

well I made it out to the pasture .And came home a happy camper :mrgreen: even though I didn't shoot very far. I only shot at 100 yards because the wind was so atrocious. I was happy with the results though. considering how bad my eyes are getting plus I haven't been shooting open sights much lately for that very reason. Needless to say I am going back to open sights and practice a lot more . Maybe There are a few more years left in the eyes after all. :mrgreen:
Coyote Omega 1:18 twist with peep sight
130 gr Blackhorn
270 E max sabotless with .060 veggie wad and sized
federal 209 primer
I cleaned after each shot.

first shot

3 shot group

5 shot group

now when it isn't so windy it is time to move back to 200 :mrgreen: But I have high hopes

Try that same load in your new Remington when it comes in.

Looks good.
I warned you about the Omega scope hole locations!
Although that front sight is somewhat unorthodox, I see how it can get the rear where you'd like it.
You shouldn't have any issue hitting a 15" gong at 300 considering how you've started out. That's slightly larger than the 9-ring on a NRA 300 target (outer black, 8-ring is 19"). FYI - the Pig's body (not legs) at 300 is approximately 9" tall x 15" wide (nose to tail).
Question: Do you know if 120gr will do the same?

I imagine 120 would do the same . I haven't tried it in this gun but I shot the same bullet with 110 in my Knight and it shot like that, only I had a scope
I will try 120 next time out

I am shooting out to 500 yards with my TC Hawken sidelock with Peep sights (505 yards with my Leica 1600 range finder) Green Mountain LRH .45 Cal Cal Barrel, Williams FP Hawken tang mounted peep with TK (target knobs) and a Gib lock (Knurled elevator lock screw so you can make adjustments in the field) I use a Lyman 17AHB Globe front sight with a Lee Shaver bpcr fine post insert. My bullets are Buffalo Arms .444 Diameter 400 Grains, i Paper Patch these bullets with 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper and run them through a .449 sizer to 'iron the paper' my powder charge is 70 Grains of Swiss 3F

Latest posts

Back