Rules and classes at Friendship

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougs136Schwartz

Reaction score
I realize this is gonna be another hot topic but this is not my intent . I feel obligated to say something . I think the M5 is pretty much perfect . Hopefully we have the bugs worked out of that match .

The IH match i love . I like the idea of factory manufactured guns only and i also liked shooting prone at the animals .It was not at all difficult for myself to adapt never shooting prone prior until Friday . Non of this makes any difference to me.Here is where the problems come in . We are loosing way to many shooters because classifying a Manufactured rifle . We either need to add a custom class besides the manufactures division or lighten up on what classifies a Manufactured gun. My gun was completly stock and i shot a 168 with 10x thats as good of a score as i shot with a custom . You can be strict as hell on me but we need to lighten up on the rest . We are loosing to many shooters

Next again i could care less about shooting prone but other shooters are upset . They want the benches back . On my way home from Friendship i met a guy in Greensburge at a gun shop . One thing led to another and he asked my name . Right away he knew i won the inline division and told me he did not shoot because of taking away the benches . This is not the first guy that is upset set about loosing the benches . It makes me absolutley no difference on rules and but others it does . Fortunatley i can afford to buy a new gun to shoot in the IH match but some guys cant . Some guys that have rifles dont feel comfrontable to shoot out to 500 yards in the M5 match but do feel they are good enough shot to shoot out to 300 meters in the IH match with a bench .

I dont have the answers nor do i care on rules and classes . It makes me no difference i can adopt but others are upset . I want the very best for the NMLRA . Maybe we should have some sort of a shooters meeting to kick ideas around ? Just a suggestion.

I think you got good idea but I won't discuss it on here because it is not the place to do it. It needs to be done at NMLRA Range some where. The whole program needs to be done not just these two matches. I'm talking the whole spectrum , numerous other matches. You actually think about it , you have three classes of rifles. Custom , production and semi custom.

How about different classes of shooters such as Expert, Marksman ect have different shooting position options. Such as the lowest/newest shooters can use a bench. Veterans/Masters with a higher rank would need to use sticks if they want a rest. Not necessarily for all ranges or targets.

Ties settled by offhand or sticks only depending on rank, range and target used.

Dedicated sticks or offhand shoots where anyone can shoot whatever they brought. Something relatively quick and not over 200 yards so newer shooters can just get a taste. 5 Pigs at 200 offhand and 3 shots on paper at 100 for ties.

classes is way NRA matches are done but they have computer program and system set up . I shoot cartridge black powder and you have a yearly score book you turn in at each match. The scores are then sent to NRA on separate sheet. The system works good actually but to do a single Match like the Match in May is hard to keep records. Your thughts are good though

Back