Gibbs rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougs136Schwartz

Reaction score
I want build a long range traditional style muzzleloader . It will be a .45 . I was thinking something like a Gibbs .. Im also thinking about possibly having a mule ear ignition . With a L&R lock and a Rice 1-18 twist barrel .

Im looking for suggestions and builders . Im very particular when it comes to ny guns . I would love to find someone that is really good to build this gun .

Randy Grunkemeyer is good as most on traditional. Mule ear lock wouldn't be traditional for long range rifle per se . Barrel is good choice. You need to research Gibbs Metford or Rigby , Alex Henry. A good book is Target Rifles Of Australia , It describes all the19th century English gun builders. It has loads and bullet types of almost all the old originals.

Mule ear locks are not period pending with the Gibbs ? I have no idea im asking . I just liked the idea of the mule ear ignition . I want to be able to shoot this gun anywhere . Does the gun need to have a tradition lock and hammer to shoot in those 1000 yard matches ?

not that I'm aware , I just mentioned the lock because I thought you wanted strait traditional. Get hold of Rick , he has a weight limit in his mach but other matches are NRA rules , like at Greyling for one and at the Nationals at Raton New Mexico. Nothing wrong with Mule Ear, good locks International has to be traditional Reproduction or Original. To shoot anywhere you would be better going straight traditional.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I want build a long range traditional style muzzleloader . It will be a .45 . I was thinking something like a Gibbs .. Im also thinking about possibly having a mule ear ignition . With a L&R lock and a Rice 1-18 twist barrel .

Im looking for suggestions and builders . Im very particular when it comes to ny guns . I would love to find someone that is really good to build this gun .

Get your wallet out! A British best quality rifle from scratch will be over 5 figures by any well known maker.
The best kit was by Don Brown (Yakama Wa, who passed about a decade ago) who copied an Alexander Henry sporting/target rifle. Don's tooling is now with Rod England in SC.
I did see a very nice (Don Brown kit) 2 barrel set (45 1:20 & 58cal) at Friendship this past June. $8500, I believe.

Mule ear would probably pass the International inspection, but I'd bet the Brits would frown on such..
Nothing wrong with a Pedersoli Gibbs for the $.

Wow had no idea they were that expensive . I have a guy Leo Holmes near home that has won Friendship off hand division . His guns are mule ears . I just thought they looked kinda cool . I like different . But if im gonna spend the kind of money your talking about i want to make sure the gun will be legal everywhere .I was hoping to have something built in the 3000 to 5000 range . May not be possible ?

You just need to talk to a good builder and discuss what you want.

I am doing a build myself that started with a #3 1/2 greenmountain 450/458 , 18 twist. That started out by Pec.River gibbs. I sent them my own wood blank and they did a 1 1/8" tapered octagon 35 inch long.very nice job. But for accuracy sake I went with Rod England and now it will be a alexlander henry build,with him breeching the barrel. Using his lock,trigger, tang,butt plate,trigger guard.ect.. Rod does two kits if you whant to call them that.one is a target and the other is the Sporting rifle. His stuff is like compareing chevy to a Mercedes. His barrels are rice 451 cal. This is my first build and Rod has given great advice and help. I wish I would of went with Rod's kit from start,would of saved me money and time in the long run. I would rather have one of these than a production gun . I am going to have mine rust blued and color case harding by Lee Shaver and one of his soul sights. The cost will be way below your figure. I sure Rod will do the whole build for you if you whant him too. Hope to see you in Tennessee next year.

I dont want a Pedersoli . I know they build good rifles and have read mostly good things about their rifles . I just want something custom made and i only want to build 1 gun . Hopefully !

Ill do some research . Who is this Rod guy ? Do you happen to have his phone number . I would like to find someone to do the complete build .

Thank you for any and all info

I dont want a Pedersoli . I know they build good rifles and have read mostly good things about their rifles . I just want something custom made and i only want to build 1 gun . Hopefully !

Ill do some research . Who is this Rod guy ? Do you happen to have his phone number . I would like to find someone to do the complete build .

Thank you for any and all info

Yes I do it is 864 590 6718 and his email is [email protected]. evening is the best time to talk to him he is a tooling enginer. He can do it for you. As a matter of fact I just got done mailing him for advice and told him there was a fellow interested in a gun.

Good discussion.
I pulled up and added some photos to the first post on this LR section - One of the Best
Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words.

As for sights, caution on using a BL rear sight on a ML, sometimes they do not go down low enough.

Latest posts

Back