Grease groove bullet size

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcat2

Reaction score
Got my hennry build done and will be back from the engraving, blueing and color case harding in a few weeks. Being new to this shooting I would like a bullet size to use ? It is a 450/458 fast twist greenmountain barrel. I know I need a 530gr.bullet to carry the long distance ,do I need a veggie wad under.powder charge also.2ff or 3ff? Also would like a good bullet to use for deer and black bear. Whant to get these bullets ordered in so I will have them ready to go when I get parts back. Wish I new how to do the pictures on here I would send some .also making a wood presentation case for it also. Thanks for any help.

wildcat2 said:
Got my hennry build done and will be back from the engraving, blueing and color case harding in a few weeks. Being new to this shooting I would like a bullet size to use ? It is a 450/458 fast twist greenmountain barrel. I know I need a 530gr.bullet to carry the long distance ,do I need a veggie wad under.powder charge also.2ff or 3ff? Also would like a good bullet to use for deer and black bear. Whant to get these bullets ordered in so I will have them ready to go when I get parts back. Wish I new how to do the pictures on here I would send some .also making a wood presentation case for it also. Thanks for any help.

450 bullet grease groove , should work. should be able to put bullet in muzzle with fingers or thumb pressure. try about 85 to 94 grns, of 2ff Swiss with wad over powder. Thickness is what ever rifle likes. .025 to .060. 530 bulletr will work shoot deer and bear through shoulders. they won't expand unless you hit bone

Buffalo arms bullet #451530E1 , might have to run through a lee bullet sizer ,

I think Buffalo Arms also has the Lyman Volunteer GG bullet you can try.

Do you cast bullets? If so, this is going to be a lot easier..

Yes I can I have the lead pot for my fishing jigs I make.and definitely whant to cast my own. I did order some of the 530 gr.from buffalo arms and a sizing die from lee precision. And both thickness of vegetable wads. Order a kelly soule sight for it ,but is on backorder. So what ever moulds I can use pass them on .thanks. also would like the date of the Oakridge shoot and the name of a motel close to do a room reservation. Thanks .

Be sure the Soule sight will go low enough your ML. I've seen more than one on Ped Gibbs that had an extended high front sight to compensate for the Soule rear to get a 200 setting.
Oak Ridge date will be set in December (maybe November) when the 2018 shooting calendar is set. Most likely the last weekend in March.

Yep ,Rod told me to put .850 high 17A from Lee to get my 100 yard target. Order that Lyman 451 volunteer mould .and the bullets that 45 suggested . Also ordered a lee 450 resizing kit.should have the breech plug back from lee early next week then the parts are off to Mike yazel for engraving. Thank goodness my local muzzleloader round ball club has a 580 yard range on site where we shoot. Thanks .

Latest posts

Back