Lee Shavers Soule Tang Peep

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Any of you guys use the Lee Shavers Economy long range Soule tang peep? Been looking at one for a Muzzleloader, On his website Shavers himself says they are 90% all the sight a guy needs, i guess that is enough info in it’s own. Just curious what you guys think of the sight? He sells a higher price, fancier sight, but for my intended use i am not sure it’s needed? My intentions are to get out to 800, maybe even a 1000 yards depending on my eye sight? Also what is the setup like? I have never set a Soule type sight up, I understand they need to be shimmed, etc. for Kant/lean, Any info is appreciated

Better off with Baldwin or Kelly , Mva. That is what most of long range shooters use.

I'm sure they are nice, Lee does good work. I assume it's the mid/long range vernier sight you're referring to? If so, not ideal for hunting - too fragile, unless it's an easy hunt. Target shooting, no reason it shouldn't work.
Most likely you'll have to mount it on the wood of your ML unless you happen to have a long tang. Many PH have had variations of verniers sights mounted, some just on top of the wood, some inlet the sight base.
Caution on ML as Soule's may not go low enough for even 200 yds, as on the Ped Gibbs - you may need a taller/higher front sight which is ??? for many reasons.. Not sure why someone would need to shim if it's installed/mounted correctly.

52Bore said:
I'm sure they are nice, Lee does good work. I assume it's the mid/long range vernier sight you're referring to? If so, not ideal for hunting - too fragile, unless it's an easy hunt. Target shooting, no reason it shouldn't work.
Most likely you'll have to mount it on the wood of your ML unless you happen to have a long tang. Many PH have had variations of verniers sights mounted, some just on top of the wood, some inlet the sight base.
Caution on ML as Soule's may not go low enough for even 200 yds, as on the Ped Gibbs - you may need a taller/higher front sight which is ??? for many reasons.. Not sure why someone would need to shim if it's installed/mounted correctly.

The rifle will be a TC Renegade which has a fairly long Tang, 1:18 twist .451 bore 32” Green Mountain barrel (Thank you Idahoron!) I am sure it will fit, but not positive? I use Lyman 57SMLs and i have 1 Williams FP Hawken on my Muzzleloaders, I have shot my 45 Cal Green Mountain LRH 1:30 twist out to 500 yards but that is as far as I possibly can get with the Williams FP Hawken peep, i have ZERO elevation adjustment left at my 500 Mark. This will not be used for hunting at all, this setup will be strictly for fun bench target shooting, no competition/competing, I seen that Shavers recommends his taller front globe sight for a Muzzleloader, i have his .625 globe with spirit level inside. Basically this is nothing more than a fun thing, stretch the envelope as far as my eyes will allow, Practical? NO! And something i won’t be doing a lot of, This is my reason in Looking at Lee’s Economy Long Range Soule vernier, they are 225 bucks, the Kelly and Baldwin are probably AWESOME but they are also WAAAAAY more money, for the little i will be playing with this, I am not sure i can justify the cost of either the Kelly or Baldwin? Are they really that much better? If so, in what ways?

Here is what is said in the description of the sight.

The Economy model sights are a no frills “Soule” type tang sight with elevation and windage adjustments. They are not just a stripped down version of our other sights, they are an entirely different sight with a different base and detente spring design that is easier and cheaper to make. It also features only a standard eye cup with #10x32 threads, but the important parts of the sight (the adjustments) are made and fitted the same way as our more expensive sights. It features micrometer adjustments for windage, and vernier scale on the elevation, but also has ½ MOA marks on the elevation knob for more accurate elevation adjustments.

I typically tell potential buyers that it is all the sight 90% of the competitors actually need. It works like it is supposed to and does it at an economical price. I've sold thousands of them over the years with many happy repeat customers.

On the other hand as our eyes get older it is nice to have the “Hadley” style eye cup so we can adjust the hole size to the available light conditions. My standard #10x32 Hadley will screw right on this sight, and can be ordered at the same time as this sight, or added later.

Each type rifle, (i.e., Sharps, Winchester, Remington, Ballard, and etc.) have different angles on the top tang in relation to the bore line. We set the economy model sights to the correct angle when we manufacture them. It requires modification of the staff or spring to adjust that angle, and the detente spring must be compressed during assembly.

For that reason it is not recommended that you attempt to purchase this sight and multiple bases for several different rifles or different types of rifles. Our “Supergrade” sights are more suited for that use.

Because of the lighter detente of this sight, it will tend to tip forward under recoil. If you would prefer that the sight stay upright after firing so you do not need to reset it during the re-loading process then you should consider the Supergrade sight as it has a much stronger detente spring.

Actually it has been shown with slow motion camera work that all sights tip forward under recoil, and then flip to the rear and etc. as the recoil slows. The stronger detente spring of the Supergrade sight actually catches the sight as it passes vertical and stops it at that point so it appears to have not moved.

This sight is built lower than a normal Soule type sight by making the sight body and staff juncture a 90 degree angle instead of vertical above one another. This lowers the sight over a half inch to its lowest setting, and helps make using a Soule sight possible on a muzzle loader or other rifle such as a trapdoor that has the tang very high in relation to the bore line when compared to other single shot rifles such as the Sharps rifle.

In most cases it will still require the use of an extra tall front sight, but it will be much lower than what would be required with a normal Soule sight.

There is one additional drawback to using this sight. Because of the way it is made, it will only fold forward over the barrel for storage. It will not fold to the rear, and cannot be made to do so.

The angle of the staff to base is adjustable so it can be mounted on nearly any tang angle and be adjusted for vertical.

It is available with any base we make for the economy sights (NOT AVAILABLE IN PEDERSOLI GIBBS). You are welcome to let us know which base you prefer. If you do not designate a specific base length, we will ship it with the 1.5” base.

What you need is a Schutzen type sight only 2 inch staff , ask buffalo arms about them . good to 500.

I have a Pedersoli universal long range soule sight and a medium range . Both new , never put on a gun yet . I think they are better than a Lee Shaver but that's just an opinion . I could part with either one cheaper than a Shaver sight is . If interested let me know

1874sharpsshooter said:
I have a Pedersoli universal long range soule sight and a medium range . Both new , never put on a gun yet . I think they are better than a Lee Shaver but that's just an opinion . I could part with either one cheaper than a Shaver sight is . If interested let me know

I really appreciate the offer, I’ve got this project on hold for a couple of months (til all of my hunting is done) I use Lee’s BPCR inserts in my Lyman 17 Series Globes and really like them.

52Bore said:
I'm sure they are nice, Lee does good work. I assume it's the mid/long range vernier sight you're referring to? If so, not ideal for hunting - too fragile, unless it's an easy hunt. Target shooting, no reason it shouldn't work. Not sure why someone would need to shim if it's installed/mounted correctly.

52bore, it is the Shavers long range vernier i am referring to, This rifle will be for Target shooting only. This is what i meant by shimming, if needed? Below is from Lee Shaver

Installation Instructions for Lee Shaver Supergrade Soule Sights
The Supergrade soule sight should come with the detent spring and one of the screws in place in the base with tape holding it in place. This is simply done so you will know which end of the base the spring goes on, which screw is to be used with that spring, and approximately how it all goes together.

You should first place the sight on your rifle, and install both mounting screws and the spring, and just snug them up a little.

Next it is important to level or at least check the level of the sight in relationship to the rifle, and make sure it is not leaning left or right when viewed from the rear. If the sight is tipped left or right due to machining tolerances of the sight or tang of the rifle it will cause you to use up some of your windage adjustment to get the sight zeroed, and will mean that you need to make a windage adjustment every time you adjust to a different elevation.

To check the sight for this possible tipping. You simply put the rifle in a padded vise or cleaning cradle, and using a small level, you level up the action of the rifle as true as you can, and then check the level of the sight. If it is not matching the action of the rifle then you need to take the sight loose and place thin shims un the side of the base it is tipping towards, and tighten the screws and check again till the sight stands level with the rifle.

The shims can be paper or steel. I use business card type paper cut to size and blackened with a magic marker.

Once you have the sight leveled left and right then you can set the angle for and aft. If you still have the screws just snug it is quite easy.

The detent spring has a slotted hole where the mounting screw goes through it. This slotted hole is used to adjust the angle at which the sight stands when it is clicked into the detent position.

I simply stand the staff up into the detent and then use a small punch and very small hammer to peck the spring for or aft till the staff stands at the location I want.

I usually set the staff straight up or perpendicular to the bore line for short and medium range shooting, and I set it leaning forward about three degrees for 1,000 yard shooting.

Hope this helps,

Lee Shaver

I was over at Buffalo Arms this morning and was able to handle both the Shavers Economy long range soule, and the Shavers Super Grade, i also spoke with Lee on the phone, For my intended use Lee and i both feel his Economy version will do everything i need. Lee told me he won a bunch of matches (maybe even world championship, I can’t remember now?) with his Economy sight for 2 years before he ever started working on his Super Grade Version, And during that time Lee said he never once felt like he was ‘under sighted’ he knew the sight well, And it did exactly what he wanted it to do. That being said, i also handled the Kelly Soule and it is obvious why the competition guys like them, they are like a fine Swiss watch! The 1 thing i really liked is the fine laser type engraved marks on the Kelly, But I simply can’t justify it for the little i will actually get to use it. This Country is really brushy! Very difficult to find anywhere i can comfortably get much over 500 yards. Now if i were looking to travel and compete i would want to check out Baldwin, and MVA. But the simple fact is i am not, this will be an occasional fun thing for me. At this time i have limited access to 800 yards, and full access to 500-600 yards.

Latest posts

Back