Lubed wool wads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodpilot

Reaction score
For a .50 cal sidelock, ...

How do I know when to use "lubed wool wad", or not? Is that only necessary when shooting over true blackpowder?

If your shooting and the fire is hitting lead, you probably need a wad. I like over sized wads. .500 for a 45, and .620 for my 50's. If your bullet has a hollow base use a card. Lewis was the one that found that.

dodpilot said:
For a .50 cal sidelock, ...

How do I know when to use "lubed wool wad", or not? Is that only necessary when shooting over true blackpowder?

I HIGHLY advise you to watch Idahoron's YouTube videos, Loading, and cleaning between shots in the field (you can see him load the Over Powder wad etc.) and his video on cleaning his rifle at home. I do exactly the same as Idahoron in both videos. You can do a search for Idahoron through YouTube and find his channel that way, Ron has some highly informative videos. The 2 videos I mention are also posted here in another thread under Sidelocks I believe?

Your rifle will tell you what it prefers. I normally use veggie wads but plan on trying a product called Nitro Cards. Ive used wool in the past too. Both dry and lubed. I find wool to be expensive unless you can cut them yourself from hard pressed felt.

For a more causal shooter though wool wads are not that expensive and pretty common.

GM54-120 said:
Your rifle will tell you what it prefers. I normally use veggie wads but plan on trying a product called Nitro Cards. Ive used wool in the past too. Both dry and lubed. I find wool to be expensive unless you can cut them yourself from hard pressed felt.

For a more causal shooter though wool wads are not that expensive and pretty common.

I agree with GM54-120, Depending on bullet type etc. you will likely find that each Type of Wad can cause difference’s in performance. Example, I have found that my Paper Patched bullets in every single rifle i own does best with Card type wads of either Vege fibre, or LDPE (Poly) Both .060 thick but Wool also performs quite well. But on the other hand my Grease Groove bullets perform the very best with a Wool Over Powder Wad, My Grease Groove bullets don’t seem to do well at all with Hard Card Wads. Wool seems to be the safest all around bet. I have seen some off the wall Craziness with hard card wads and stock 1:48 twist Thompson Center QLA muzzles, i have seen bullets hit the ground 1 shot, and go over the entire target the next! Switch to a Wool Wad and they shoot ok, My advice with a QLA Muzzle is to try shooting without any wad at all, if accuracy isn’t great then try a Wool OP Wad.

Wool Wads are fairy expensive if you buy them pre made, about 8-10 bucks per 100, But like GM54 said if you are a casual shooter they are not bad. You can also buy bulk Wool felt material from an outfit online called Durofelt, and you can buy a Hammer struck Wad punch from Buffalo Arms for your .50 Caliber rifle. If you shoot a bunch and prefer to use Wool this is the way to go, plus you get the satisfaction of shooting Wads that you made yourself 8)

Latest posts

Back