Paper tails/Flat Base bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
How do you guys twist, or tuck your paper tails on flat base bullets? Saying the base is the more important part of bullet flight? Wouldn't a twisted or tucked paper tail cause accuracy problems since it’s nearly impossible to keep the tail the exact same from bullet to bullet? With a cupped base you have the cup to push the tail up inside, But obviously not the case with a flat base bullet, What is your technique with Flat base bullets and long range shooting?

I cut a new longer patch template so i could get a better hold for twisting a nice tight tail, after twisting up good n tight i clipped the tail off as tight to the base as i could. They look good, stil a little hump in the center though

Cartridge shooters , shorten the width , so the excess is kind of folded around the edge. just try what you have see how they shoot.

I run my thru a sizing die after wrapping and clipping..pretty much flattens them out. The wrapped, sized bullet is seated over a pretty thick hard felt wad. I think the combination of those two factors would protect the bullet base while inside the barrel is seated squarely. Also remember that lead obturates when black powder ignites, and should help hot gasses from damaging the base

themoose said:
I run my thru a sizing die after wrapping and clipping..pretty much flattens them out. The wrapped, sized bullet is seated over a pretty thick hard felt wad. I think the combination of those two factors would protect the bullet base while inside the barrel is seated squarely. Also remember that lead obturates when black powder ignites, and should help hot gasses from damaging the base

themooses, I do the same thing, these bullets are .443 Diameter after 2 wraps of this particular paper it brings the diameter up to .450-.451, I then push them through a .449 sizer just to ‘Iron’ the paper out. It does help with the bump left at the base after trimming the tail. I am not near as picky with my hunting bullet bases, i have found accuracy to be very good out to 200 yards with them. This ultra long range (800-1,000 yards) might be a little more finicky though? I feel these are about as good as i can get them, I’m happy with em! Now just gotta see how they shoot? I plan to use a .060 Vege fibre OP Wad or a .060 LDPE (i have and make both) Then an 1/8” thick wool on top of that, the wool being what contacts the bullet base will give cushion

Sounds like a well thought out plan.. Good luck... by the way, All I have learned about paper-patched bullets started with Idahoron and Roger on the Cast Boolets forum...Do you live anywhere Lewiston?? I have a nephew who moved there from IN last year... he likes to hunt and shoot and could use some local advise..

themoose said:
Sounds like a well thought out plan.. Good luck... by the way, All I have learned about paper-patched bullets started with Idahoron and Roger on the Cast Boolets forum...Do you live anywhere Lewiston?? I have a nephew who moved there from IN last year... he likes to hunt and shoot and could use some local advise..

I know Ron personally, he is an HONEST GREAT guy, it’s an honor to call him my friend! If Ron tells you something you can take it the bank!

I live in Priest River, about 3 and half hours North of Lewiston. I have been really close to Lewiston a few times but never actually been there.

45cal said:
Cartridge shooters , shorten the width , so the excess is kind of folded around the edge. just try what you have see how they shoot.

45cal, I have seen pictures of what you speak of with BPCR guys, Some of them get REALLY picky with the tails! Seeing that is actually why i asked about this here. I feel good about the way i have these, i just need to get out and test them now. A cupped base bullet is much easier to work with when it comes to the tail, they tuck away nicely in the cup

45cal said:
Same for ML, it's called 'Short Patch' - all the folded edges allow for the center to be void of paper and one can see the flat lead base. Nearly always requires some sort of wad to prevent the paper from coming off during loading (depending on fit).
I found with pigtails, that wire cutters work great to cut the excess off. It seems to 'pinch' the paper when cutting (earlier on ones hand too compared to scissors).

52Bore said:
45cal said:
Same for ML, it's called 'Short Patch' - all the folded edges allow for the center to be void of paper and one can see the flat lead base. Nearly always requires some sort of wad to prevent the paper from coming off during loading (depending on fit).
I found with pigtails, that wire cutters work great to cut the excess off. It seems to 'pinch' the paper when cutting (earlier on ones hand too compared to scissors).

Your post made me remember that i have a really nice little set of precision flush side cutters that i bet would work very well for snipping the tails tight to the base, They are Hakko CHP-170s

I just tried the little flush side cutters above on some twisted tails and they work SUPER SLICK! Effortlessly cuts them flush

Back