Super 91 vs M 97

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocomike

Reaction score
I found a guy that is willing to part with one of his White rifles. The S91 is blue and the M97 is stainless. Both appear to be in near new condition. I have never even handled a White before and when I drive the 2 hours to this fellows home it will be with the intention of returning with one of these rifles. Any thoughts that might help me make up my mind would be much appreciated. I will be hunting in Colorado with this rifle, so no scope allowed and full bore conical required... Thanks!

Either one would be a great choice so you can't go wrong no matter which you choose . I imagine some will say m97 simply because it's stainless. But if you take care of your gun like a person should then blued is fine. So my choice would be the Super 91 . The great thing is you get to handle them and see them so that may make up your mind for you .

I agree with your thought concerning finish but also see the benefit in "margin of neglect" afforded stainless. Does the stainless buy some more tolerance to pitting or corrosion in the bore? Some of my elk hunting entails 3 or 4 days in the backcountry. Not that I couldn't pack cleaning essentials (I do) if all else was equal the stainless could be determining factor. I do like the lines of the S91 more than the M97, but appearance is near last on my list of factors.

You didn't mention calibers? For elk in Colorado you need at least a .50 caliber. I've hunted out there a few times, and I would take the stainless M97 if it were .504 caliber. If either are. 451 caliber, OK for deer, but out for elk in CO.

The stainless will buy more time in inclement weather as far as the elements, but neither are going to be corrosion resistant to any of the BP's or BP Subs.

All I can comment to is the M97 White Tail Hunter that I own. Just a great rifle. Very accurate, easy to clean, a real basic rifle. I have two of them. But I never owned a Super 91. Just heard how good they are.

The M97 has a 22" barrel with one ramrod holder vs the S91 with a 26" barrel and two holders. I like the S91 too, but only thing I don't really care for is the pull cock, especially with a stiff spring. The M97 on the other hand is easy to cock with the lever on the left side. Like said if you take care of either blued or stainless its will be all good. Stainless will tarnish so it still needs to be cleaned ASAP, especially if using Pyrodex, Triple 7 is alot more forgiving an easier on medal, from my experiences.

You can buy more time if you use Triple7 vs real black and especially Pyrodex. Triple7 is far less corrosive but still should be cleaned as soon as possible. Take along some Windex and rubbing alcohol mixed. It wont freeze too easily and works fine for field cleaning.

nocomike said:
both are .504's so good for elk...

In that case, the Super 91 has the sexier lines for sure. Looking at this from strictly a hunting in the Rockies standpoint, the M97 wins that every time, IMO.

Good luck with your decision.

I am actually leaning toward "get both".. I find myself cooking up all manner of excuse to do so.

Temptation got the better of me; I now own a S91 and M97 and a Whitetail. I cleaned the guy out!! A buddy has committed to buy the Whitetail though it wont hurt my feelings if he backs out.. Have not yet fired a White but am pleased with the quality and looking forward to shooting them all.

My .451 S91 is a deer killin mochine!! I'm feeling sorry for the .504 S91 being so lonley in the safe, so I will take it out for the late season to air it out hopefully! Besides with the B&C stock it is more winter weather ready... :yeah:

Back