White Breech plug vent liner??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a RonLaughlin question, bet he would know. Never thought about a #11 plug with a vent liner guess they would wear out eventually....

I think that once your hole gets to be .036" or so you will start to see accuracy start slipping. My opinion is that the flash hole should be as small as possible as long as you still get dependable ignition. I think I get by with smaller holes because I use "real" black powder.

Doc clams some guns with 20k shots on original BP. He says he sells spares because some guys like the security, (mostly for loss) but the BP should be lifetime.

Squeeze said:
Doc clams some guns with 20k shots on original BP. He says he sells spares because some guys like the security, (mostly for loss) but the BP should be lifetime.
You may, possibly, shoot 20,000 shots with a white breech plug but my opinion is you would lose any semblance of accuracy. I have observed significant flash hole erosion in less than 500 shots which increases blowback and with that accuracy. I would like to see what the size of the flash hole is in a breech plug with 20,000 shots fired.
Doc is probably right about most people not needing to replace their plugs but most people shoot 20 shots or less annually.
Opinions may vary.

Re: RE: Re: White Breech plug vent liner??

flounder said:
Squeeze said:
You may, possibly, shoot 20,000 shots with a white breech plug but my opinion is you would lose any semblance of accuracy. I have observed significant flash hole erosion in less than 500 shots which increases blowback and with that accuracy. I would like to see what the size of the flash hole is in a breech plug with 20,000 shots fired.
Doc is probably right about most people not needing to replace their plugs but most people shoot 20 shots or less annually.
Opinions may vary.
I've shot one of my whites for 20 years same breech plug still shoots one inch at a 100 yards I don't think black is any where near destructive on plugs as 209 imo

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I agree that you won't get the same flash hole erosion with black powder as you get with smokeless or bh209 but you still get some. Could you do me a favor and measure the flash hole on that plug you've been using for 20 years and report the results.
Thanks, Art

flounder said:
I agree that you won't get the same flash hole erosion with black powder as you get with smokeless or bh209 but you still get some. Could you do me a favor and measure the flash hole on that plug you've been using for 20 years and report the results.
Thanks, Art
Yeah I'll have to think of what to use to measure it ?

bp45cal said:
you have a set of welding tip cleaners??
No but I can see if the welders at work do

flounder said:
Ron has done a couple for me. Once the flash hole starts getting too big you lose some accuracy, this is cured by using a replaceable vent liner.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18538&hilit=ventliner
Do you have a picture of one with the vent liner ? Also just curious if you could do a titanium coating to the breech plug ? Also why would you lose accuracy because the flash hole gets bigger you would almost think the opposite?

I just haven't had any success trying to post pictures on here since photobucket pooped out. The plug looks the exact same on the outside. on the inside it is drilled and tapped for the ventliner. The ventliner looks the same as what you would use in a Savage smokeless.

easy way to post pics is put them on your computer desktop then go to tinypic.com,go to upload images/videos click on browse go to desktop, then click on pic to download then click upload.
After pic is uploaded a 3 part tab will come up choose the one that says for message boards and double left click on it, it will turn black or different color then right click and click copy..
Go to your post tab down below your text and right click and paste link, it will now go directly to your pic.
Hope this makes sense its really easy to do and tinypic automatically resizes pics to the right size.

flounder said:
I just haven't had any success trying to post pictures on here since photobucket pooped out. The plug looks the exact same on the outside. on the inside it is drilled and tapped for the ventliner. The ventliner looks the same as what you would use in a Savage smokeless.

flounder said:
Ok same as my knight 500 I guess

Ron did 3 plugs for me, two for my whites (one is a T Bolt shooting smokeless) and the 3rd one was a Knight Elite that I was shooting smokeless out of.
Excellent gentleman to deal with.

bp45cal said:
Any other way to measure ?

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: White Breech plug vent liner??

muzzlestuffer said:
bp45cal said:
Any other way to measure ?

Sewing needles and micrometer.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back