new to the club!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerlover

Reaction score
Hello all,

Finally joined the club, got a Bison off Doc from his criterion barrels, this is a 24" 1 in 24 twist bison, its got a black dura coat finish and a rubbery grippy finish on the stock, which is made from maple and redesigned by doc for shooting with a scope. I think ill toss a scope on it to see what it can do, but probably end up hunting with the open sights. I've got a few bullets im going to try, one is a 450 grain .458 cast lead bullet my old man makes, and im going to try a barnes 458 socom bullet, 325 458 hornady, and doc mentioned the harvester scorpion's shoot well. he actually said you can shoot blackhorn out of it, but I know there is a post saying not to risk it, so im going to start out with 70 grains T7 3f.

one problem ive found so far is the breech plug opening is small in diamter none of my plug wrenches fit, had to rig up one of those screwdrivers you can pull out of the handle and change the bit, its a 3/8 drive.. guess ill have to find a long and skinny t handle 3/8 drive extension.. what do you guys use?

Attachments

• bison1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 309
  • bison2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 310
  • bison3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 309
heres the bullets.. open to other ideas as well, these are just what I already have.

oh and heres a yote I took on saturday, not with a smoke pole though.

Attachments

• bullets.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 307
  • yote 17.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 308
deerlover you will enjoy loading and shooting the Bison, I enjoy mine! I shoot 495gr and 510gr lead bullets in all my .504 Whites. Some of the guys on here can chime in about the other bullets you are looking to shoot as well. Your right in the ball park with the load I shoot 75-85gr T7 in my .504s with great results. Try increasing the load in 5gr increments if the 70gr isn't getting you the results you want on paper.

White made a field tool for the breech plug I keep one of the White tools and a 1/4" drive ratchet with an extension and a 3/8" socket in my range bag as well in my possible bag when in the field. A note on the breech plug do not tighten the breech plug in the breech Doc designed it to be snugged and backed off 1/4 turn. Also use either Teflon tape or grease on the threads for easy removal of the plug.

Have a blast with that Bison you will be hooked just like the rest of us!!!!

Congrats on the new white Bison!! Did Doc bed the lug for you as well? Those big lead conicals should do well in her. I like a 496 grain bullet with 85gr. T72Fg in my .504 Super 91.

For deer, I shoot large conical bullets in my Bison. While I have never taken a deer yet with the rifle, I had shot hundreds on the range and found the rifle a pleasure to shoot.

thanks fellas, Yes, Doc glass bedded the lug, im gonna have to get some some 2f. My old man just bought a 50 cal mold too so hopefully I can try some full bores eventually.

thanks fellas, Yes, Doc glass bedded the lug, im gonna have to get some some 2f. My old man just bought a 50 cal mold too so hopefully I can try some full bores eventually.

Back