Firing pin spring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there an aftermarket available? I see on White site, they recommend a heavier version for the musket BP. But they are slow, and I didnt see springs on my latest parts available from white list. I have one that was a 2 pull pop almost every time last time out. I went in and took the whole firing assembly apart, including trigger and everything was pretty well clean. I doubt it was a dirty parts problem. I havent seen this problem before, but picked up a couple new to me whites, and ran into this. Figured spring was the logical first step.

I'm not aware of any after market springs for a White. You might try taking your spring to a hardware store an try to match it...just a thought! That's the one part I don't have any extra supply of for my guns! I also don't leave the spring inside the gun after shooting it, if the storage will be extended. I leave the hammer an everything else inside, but leave the spring and cocking lever (model 97 and shotgun) in a separate bag so the spring holds its original tension. So far its working!

PS. If you find a spring to match at a hardware store let me know as well. Thanks

Squeeze, make sure when putting the cap on the nipple that you give it an extra push, they have to be on tight. use RWS caps they seem to work best.

RS

Just a thought does this happen after you fire a few shots? Could be the nipple may be too large and may need to be sanded down a little. I've had that problem in the past myself.

You might want to look at the face of the striker bolt also, and make sure the face of the bolt is flat. After a while, they tend to "cup" and need some attention with a Dremel tool. I'd almost bet that the cap isn't getting seated all the way, as stated above.

This went on from the start. new gun, new scope. ( Not my first White) I was using RWS caps, and I was doing tricks trying to make sure of a seat. Ill have to check the firing pin cup. On a good note, It LOVES this Mountain mold .452 ~480 grn Greased with Gatafeo lube (1 part parrafin, 1 part mutton tallow, 1/2 part beeswax) Clovers at 100 With just a front bag. 70 grns V goex 3f, 1/8" unlubed veg card wad. Thumb start
DSC00537_zpscn6mq1e1.jpg

Give the Remington Magnum #11 caps a try, they are a tad larger than RWS an work on a couple of my White nipples that are stubborn at times. I have always had them to go off for me first time!

Those bullets look great!! Not surprised they shoot great as well...

If the problem persist, email Doc White. he sold me a couple heavier springs.

Possibly as an interim fix grab the spring on each end and stretch it. +1 on storing without the spring installed

A remington 700 short action firing pin spring is the same spring, but about 1/2" longer. It fits in, and feels like more spring. I'm betting it works. The firing pin battery cup does look bit buggared. What bit in a dremel did you use to clean that up?

Squeeze,,,I used a small barrel/cylindrical grinding bit, and slowly flattened the face of the striker.

Squeeze said:
CrockettNJ said:
I get a click about 1/3 the time I pull the trigger. Makes me a better shooter.

:D :poke:
chain.gif

Well, I wish I was yankin yer chain on that!

I dusted off the White for opening day and a couple other hunts this season. Spent some time at the range with the boys as well. New RWS primers and I am at about 50% "click" vs fire.

I've joked about it on the old forum, that even when brand new from rattus I get more clicks than anyone. I lived with it.

But, as I assess a bunch of guns that need minor tending/repair/maintenance, I want to correct this. My 91 is BY FAR my favorite ML and with exception to my marlin39, is my favorite gun in the safe.

SO, any leads on mainsprings for the white 91? Rumor of a remington 700 short action being a fit true? Is Doc healed from his fall? In stock?

I'd also like to purchase a musket nipple breech plug as well, as my eyes and fingers are starting to show their age (and the spares breechplugs I bought on 24hourcampfire seem to not be the real mcCoy.) .

FWIW The gun was cleaned and the bolt face seems true. primers seated firmly.

Thanks in advance, and more importantly MERRY CHRISTMAS and a healthy happy new year to all of you ole dirty white boys.

Merry Christmas to you as well. I haven't even looked for a new spring since I don't see mine going "bad" anytime soon. I still take them out before storage an they are still just as strong as the day I bought the guns.

I strongly suspect mine was a weak spring from the start. There's posts (i guess all deleted now?) from me going back to '05 when I got the gun regarding the clicks. Now its gotten worse, prbably because I never thought of removing it and decompressing when not in use.

Regardless, I am in need of mainspring if anyone has a lead.

CrockettNJ said:
I strongly suspect mine was a weak spring from the start. There's posts (i guess all deleted now?) from me going back to '05 when I got the gun regarding the clicks. Now its gotten worse, prbably because I never thought of removing it and decompressing when not in use.

Regardless, I am in need of mainspring if anyone has a lead.
Steve at white rifles had springs when I ordered from him a couple weeks ago
As matter of fact I bought a spare for myself

Latest posts

Back