.540 White G Series

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shguns

Reaction score
On another hunting forum I visit a member recently acquired a .540 White G Series. Apparently like new :D .
He is wondering about what to try first for loads.

Anyone on here have any advice??

Thanks,
Scott

No Excuses makes a 535 grain conical that shoots well out of my .540 G Series Bison. 70 to 75 grains of 2f Goex would be a good starting load.

Flounder
Thanks!
Is there any benefit to using a wad between the powder and bullet with the White rifles?

Scott

I achieved good accuracy before I starting using the wads. I use them as a little extra insurance against leading up the bore. They are cheap enough so I just go ahead and use them.
I don't think there were a lot of the .540's made, not really a long range rifle but they pack a punch. I haven't shot anything but paper with mine yet.

Art

These are the conicals I am casting for my 540 Bison. They weigh 551 grains before lubing and are .540 as cast. The mold is by Accurate and casts very well.

P1010325_zpsvo3yhhv4.jpg

Update:
I checked in by private message with the owner of the .54 White G Series, asking if he had shot it.
He said that it shot good at 100 yards but at 200 was not able to hold a group so he is thinking seriously about selling it.
Thanks for all of the replies!

dbowling said:
If it shoots good at 100 it will shoot good at 200 maybe with a different bullet or more then likely shooter.
I bet the hold over for a 500gr. boolit is gonna be the problem....that's a long poke for sure!!

Back