Super 91 info needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave C

Reaction score
The original Super 91 built by Doc had an underrib below the barrel that was later removed on the Super 91-II due to "problems" according to Doc's website. Anyone know what kind of problems the underrib was causing? Accuracy problems? Separation from the barrel?

:lol: :lol: :lol: The only problem was that he ran out of underribs. They seem to shoot equally as well without them. I kind of like the look with them.

That's the problem exactly with the underribs i own 2 91s and 1 91ii they are all 3 the same in the accuracy dept

I emailed Doc on this and this is what he told me.
"The damn smiths would bend the rib a little so it would screw down tighter. This bothered roups, we got better more consistant grouping without the rib Yes the rib can be removed and simple pipes replaced DOC"

Sounds like most of you guys haven't found that to be the case though.

Maybe so, I know Doc has the edge in experience, but the thing to remember is that Doc was and is in the business of selling rifles so I take some things with a grain of salt. IMO both rifles are great as is the model 98. I have yet to hear anyone say they've had accuracy issues due to the underrib either being there or not being there.

I tried mine both with and without. Shot exactly the same both ways. Kinda like the way it looks with the under rib better so that's where it is now.

I too removed the under rib on my .504 Super 91, same accuracy with or without. Great shooting gun, loves the 480 grn Super Slugs with 85 grns P Pyrodex with a CCI #11.

When you removed it, how did you handle securing the ramrod afterwards?

The ribs affect the harmonics if you take it off and lay it on a flat surface make sure it's laying flat and not "warped" if it is straighten until completely flat.

Back