Tripple 7?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dad is going on an elk hunt in September. For 25 years he has shot Pyrodex Pistol powder in his 50 cal whitetail and his 54 Bison. He is needing more powder for his hunt and the only thing we can find locally loose is triple 7 fff. Help me convince him to switch over and what loads of 777 should he start with? He usually runs 100 grains in the 50 and 110 in the 54 of the pyrodex P .

Tell your dad that triple 7 is much cleaner than pryodex and not as corrosive, it cleans up with windex or I use a citrus household cleaner. He can use the same amount of powder as he has been used to an may even get better groups. Triple 7 cleans up alot easier too, that's all I use in my Whites. With the 209 primers he will have to swab after a couple shots to clean out a crud ring forward of the breech plug, but he should be used to swabbing since he used pyrodex.

If he switched back to the #11 caps he wouldn't need to swab, as there is no crud ring using triple 7, just keep on shooting. Hope that helps!!

We tried...alot of people like Pyrodex. I have used it as well, but prefer triple 7 after it came on the market. Good luck to you an your dad this fall!!

Back