How many guys don't swab between shots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave C

Reaction score
I've been in the practice of swabbing the bore after every shot at the range to try and maintain consistency for load testing and practicing. Sounds like some guys just shoot their guns dirty without doing this. I'm always amazed how much crud I get after each shot with the Triple 7 powder and concerned about not being able to clean it well later or even seating the bullet fully past the crud ring if I don't swab between. Any of you guys using Triple 7 shoot your gun dirty for multiple shots and do you see a difference in POI from you clean bore shot?

I shoot nothing but 777 in my whites and swab about every 15 shots no real poi change for me that or im not a good enough shot to tell it

When I shot 777 I had to swab between shots or it was almost impossible to seat another bullet. Pyrodex wasn't as bad as that and I don't have that problem at all with BH209.

Depends on the rifle and ignition. With my White I never swab between shots using conicals and 777 ffg. When I shot 777 in my Omega I absolutely had to swab between shots in order to have any chance at seating another round. The crud ring was bad. I have switch to BH209 in both my Omega and Knight. I only shoot 777 in the White now.

Same as mossy except I have two Optima V2 for the BH209. I don't like swabbing takes too long in a hunting situation when time counts for a backup shot if needed.

Fmfdred56 said:
I shoot nothing but 777 in my whites and swab about every 15 shots no real poi change for me that or im not a good enough shot to tell it
Do you have any problem cleaning after shooting that many rounds without swabbing?

Fmfdred56 said:
Not at all no diffrent than if i only fired 1 honestly

I swab the bore about the same after 15 plus shots also with my Whites as well. The only thing that I may find is a little crud ring. But that doesn't make it difficult or dirtier to clean. If that is what you were questioning?

I am unclear why anyone is talking about bh209 on the White board. If you are having problems with Triple 7 you might want to go to Swiss Powder. I feel it is the best, very clean and very consistent. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth. Art

the seven crud ring is substantially less with a cap ignition. Its way more of an issue with 209 primer. Whites just seem to have their own system perfected.

flounder said:
I am unclear why anyone is talking about bh209 on the White board. If you are having problems with Triple 7 you might want to go to Swiss Powder. I feel it is the best, very clean and very consistent. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth. Art
The topic is swabbing Art....I'm sure some of the thunderbolt guys shoot BH209!

toytruck said:

Ahh, I wasn't thinking about the Thunderbolts. I was just hoping no one would read this thread and think they otter be shooting BH209 in their Whites. (all others models).

flounder said:
toytruck said:

Ahh, I wasn't thinking about the Thunderbolts. I was just hoping no one would read this thread and think they otter be shooting BH209 in their Whites. (all others models).

Good point!! :yeah:

toytruck said:
flounder said:
toytruck said:

Good point!! :yeah:

I do shoot BH209 in my thunderbolt, but prefer the cost of T7 better. Swabbing doesn't bother me at all.
Steve

I never clean between shots in any of my Whites. One thing I seem to be noticing though is my first shot after a Squibb from a clean gun, seems to impact a little higher than any other subsequent shots. I've only noticed this at 100 yards, haven't checked to see if there is a difference farther out. So this year I loaded a full on load and blasted the bank on a dry wash before I loaded it to take out and hunt. I'll leave it loaded the entire hunt and shoot it out on the last day, unless i shoot at a deer. It always goes boom and always hits where it's aimed.

Latest posts

Back