.45 Load info needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave C

Reaction score
Been working up some loads for a .45 Super 91 that I picked up. I've got one pretty good combination using the NE 460g conicals but was hoping to find another combination using a lighter conical that I might be able to push a little faster and flatter. Anybody had any success shooting the 385g NE conicals or something in the 340-350g range? Dave at No Excuses sent me a few of the 385's to try but I don't have a lot of them so I figured I'd see if any of you guys are using them and what kind of powder charge you've had most success with.

Dave, I shoot the Lyman 330gr Gould bullet. When I cast them they come out weighing 345 gr. When I use pure lead. I shoot them using 75gr of 777-3F with no issues of leading in my Whites.

edmehlig said:
Dave, I shoot the Lyman 330gr Gould bullet. When I cast them they come out weighing 345 gr. When I use pure lead. I shoot them using 75gr of 777-3F with no issues of leading in my Whites.
Sounds good. I'll start there. Any idea what kind of MV you're getting with that charge?

That should right around 1300-1350fps with 75gr of T7 FFFG. Pretty much the sweet spot for that bullet.

If you want to go light, my wife just took a mule deer buck with lehighs 170 grain .451 controled fracturing bullet in her 1 in 20 traditions. My m97 white shoots the same bullet very well but haven't tried them in my s91 yet

I shoot those out of my White Super 91 .451 over 60 grains of Pyrodex Select RS and with a 1x scope, consistently figure eight the holes at 100 yards. I started out at 80 grains and had horrible results. That gun loves them at 60 grains. Check on Whitemuzzleloading.com. Doc still has a lot of the ballistic tables posted. I've been all over his website and read almost every word. Fascinating man to say the least. I have 5 of his rifles:
2-.504 Whitetail's
2-.504 Super 91's
1-.451 Super 91
and am always looking for another one. The best thing about them is you can shoot over and over without cleaning and you don't seem to lose accuracy. In fact, the instructions with the rifle tell you to fire a "squib" load to foul the bore before actually loading it to shoot.

Back