New guy with a couple White questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BD1023

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new around here and found your board while searching for some answers to a couple questions. I'm hoping maybe you guys can answer them for me. First off, I've owned a SS Super 91 since around '94 so I am familiar with White rifles and really like their quality and simplicity.

I just bought the .504 SG White Lightning that was on 24hourcampfire for sale. The fellow was local and I drove up this morning to get it.

My first question is does anyone have a good sabot load that is somewhat low recoil to try thru the Lightning? I bought the rifle for my GF to hunt with and I don't believe she can handle the 90 grains of Pyrodex P behind a 480 superslug that I shoot. I bought a couple cases of the Super Slugs back when the first rumors started of White going out of business. The rifle has shot so well with that load that I never tried anything else and have been shooting it ever since. The Lightning will be used for Va whitetails under 100 yards.

How important is the stock mod on a Lightning? Something I should address ASAP?

Last question for now would be,anybody got a #11 breech plug and hammer for a lightening? It has the 209 primer system and I'd like to switch it back if possible. This however may be counter productive seeing as I have never messed with a muzzleloader that uses 209 primers.

Thanks,
BD1023

Check this link out it gives sizes of sabots and bullets. With the White overbore try some of the larger units. I'd suggest something around 65 to 80 grains of FFF black powder.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9798

I will suggest trying a 250 grain bullet. You should find something that will give minute of deer at 100 easy. I also hunt here in eastern VA and most shots are under 65 yds here unless you are a beanfield "hunter".
You might also get a pack of Thor "sized" try bullets to see which size would work in your White. The .503 Thor fits my White Bison just fine and shoots good too. I usually use 85 grains of FFF in whatever bullet I'm shooting in the Bison.
My experience, others may be different. W

BD1023 said:
I just bought the .504 SG White Lightning that was on 24hourcampfire for sale. The fellow was local and I drove up this morning to get it.

Well, now I know who scooped that one up before I could :D I saw the posting a few days after it went up, and wasn't surprised to see it was SPF the same day. I'm also relatively local to the seller's location in VA, so I was kicking myself I hadn't seen the ad sooner. I'm sure your GF will enjoy that muzzleloader.

Your going to love that Lightning. My is a joy to carry and hunt with.

BD1023 said:
Welcome to another Virginian that knows the White way!! 8)

I have never shot (sabots) in my Whites...I'm told they will do it quite nicely tho! After shooting my M97's with the 22inch barrels I can understand why you think she won't like a heavier load. I would try a 380gr-425gr conical with 65-75gr of powder for less recoil.

I never saw the need to go beyond the #11 caps as they work very well for me. Good luck in finding a #11 breechplug/hammer.

Thanks everyone,

I spent the day searching the web to hunt down a set of bases for the rifle. I got lucky and found a set of Weaver Grand Slams between Ebay and Numrich's. Next, I'll start hunting down a few of the recommended bullets to try. I was thinking with the sabot/lighter bullet combo that it would be less recoil, but I do like the idea of shooting the lighter conicals. Nothing beats a big ole lead bullet on a whitetail.

Back on the hunt. Ebay seller cancelled my order.

Finding the correct steel bases for a quick detach set-up is quite the challenge. Probably should have taken that into consideration!

You might want to try Steve Brown. He was selling White parts. The last time I bought from him was last fall and I know he had Warne rings and bases for g and s series. The #11 BP's are all the same for g/s series . He had the BP's also. A hammer might be hard to Find. You might just want to just grind the little nub off the 209 hammer. As for the stock, I would do the fix. If it breaks it would be nightmare trying to find a replacement. Steve Brown's email; [email protected]. Sometime it takes a while for him to answer.

Does the breechplug on your other white fit? You could take that to a local machinist and they could whip you one up I bet. I remade one of the hammers on my lathe for a .504 Super 91. I put a little 45 deg chamfer inside so it directs any gas away from my face. Your local machinist could probably do that as well. Good luck

I emailed Steve Brown and he replied back the same day. He has breech plugs ,hammers and quite a bit of other parts, but no rings/bases. I ordered two BP's and a hammer and they were shipped out this past Tuesday so I should have them any day. I can say that the BP from my Super 91 appears to be exactly the same as the Lightning.

Still on the hunt for bases.

BD1023 said:
I emailed Steve Brown and he replied back the same day. He has breech plugs ,hammers and quite a bit of other parts, but no rings/bases. I ordered two BP's and a hammer and they were shipped out this past Tuesday so I should have them any day. I can say that the BP from my Super 91 appears to be exactly the same as the Lightning.

Still on the hunt for bases.

You had better luck than I did with him...

Like the chief said all White #11 breech plugs are the same an will fit all white rifles regardless of caliber and style. The shotguns have a different plug as you can imagine.

Latest posts

Back