Longer range loads for my Super 91

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browning

Reaction score
I picked up two .50cal Super 91's, one for my son and one for me, back in 1995 from one of the production managers that used to work at White when it was based in Roosevelt, Utah.
Since then, both of these guns have killed quite of few Utah Mule deer. All of them from under 100 yards. But, with the change in the rules that now allow variable power optics, I would like to stretch the yardage a bit and see if I can get comfortable out to 300. I've mounted a Leupold Vari-X3 in 3.5x10.40 on it and would like to find out from the forum here some recommendations for a good load. I've been shooting 95gr. of Pyrodex with a 415gr. slug.
I am told that by getting away from the lead slug and moving to a lower grain sabot, this gun will easily give me good groups at 300 yards, but I am clueless about sabots, having never shot them. Any suggestions regarding sabot brand/weight and powder load would be appreciated.

Welcome to the DWB board first off! I too have never shot saboted bullets in my Whites (actually its taboo around here), but I may try some in my .504 S91. The .451 S91 will stay clear of those things...

My CVA Optima V2 rifle likes a .452 300 gr. XTP in a harvester crushrib sabot so much I think I will try it on a deer in the late ML season here. I'm shooting 90 gr. of blackhorn powder in that rifle so I would try at least 90 gr. of pyrodex or triple 7 2Fg in your .504's. My guns will never see pyrodex either, just to darn corrosive for me to use, but if you like it....

One of the reasons I've posed the question is that I am trying to expand my knowledge base on what works best in the White. On another board, I was told that I could not use Blackthorn in my white?? That the #11 cap would not ignite it? If there is a lead slug that you all feel will get me the results I am looking for, I'm all ears. For instance, I had no idea that the Pyrodex was so corrosive, now that I know that, I would most certainly like to change, any recommendation would be appreciated.

Most of the White's seem to like 70-80g of T7 FFFG. Pyrodex is a good powder. Doc recommends it. The T7 is about 20% hotter and less corrosive though. Personally, I've had good success with No Excuses Conicals and I'm now using some lighter(350g) conicals that I bought online. Both the NE and 350g gave me touching groups at 50 yds with a scope. Once I have a group like that, I switch over to the peep/open sights config to start getting dialed in with that as we can't use scopes where I hunt. Even with the open sights, I shot a 6" group two days ago at the range at 250 yd. Luck? Maybe. But, I'm confident I could have done that or better with a scope. The key is knowing your trajectory as these projectiles drop a lot after about 150 yds and you'll either have to know your holdover or use a turreted scope.

What DaveC said about most Whites like using between 70-80gr of 777-3F. My load with the 350gr HP and 465gr conicals that I cast likes 70-75gr of777-3F depending on the 451 White rifles that I shoot. For my grandchildren they can handle between 50-65gr of 777-3F with the350gr HP and there is no problem with accuracy and the deer they shot with those loads dropped where they were standing or went a few yards.

My dad shot his speed goat at over 200 yards with peep sights on a super 91 and 460 grain no excuses conical this year. With a good scope with turrets and a dope chart i feel like a guy could stretch that distance out alot with practice.

Back