What makes the White so much better?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browning

Reaction score
I would like to know what makes the White's so desirable among the muzzeloader crowd? I mean, Jim Shockey swears by his Thompson Center and I doubt it's because he gets them for free. What is it about the White that gets it such a great rep?

Because they are very, very consistently accurate and they are built to last forever if you take care of them. They will shoot a big 460 gr. conical as good or better then most sabot loads plus they will shoot sabots very good as well.

I don’t know what makes them better - I do know what makes them great. I’ll qualify this with the fact that I’m an OK shot. Not great - just OK. I’d shot two other ML’s in my life. One shot OK - the other shot pretty good. Decided to get a ML to extend my season. Went to an auction and picked up a White. No idea what I bought - but it looked and felt like quality workmanship. Turns out it was a Whitetail Hunter .451. 22” stainless barrel, crowned, composite stock. Pretty simple mechanism. Went out on the net and found the DWB’s. With their guidance I found a load that worked very well. 400 grain conical over 75 grains of 777 FFg. Turns out it also has a Boss trigger - on par with Timneys. Got in the safe and dropped a 1” Ultra Dot on top. Go to the range. Now keep in mind that Ultra dot sub tends 4” at 100 yards - nothing near precise. Hang a paper plate. Darned if every shot didn’t land in that red dot. And most shots inside a couple of inches. So - subtending 4” - shoots inside 2”. Didn’t bring my breech plug tool - didn’t matter - no swabbing. The 8th bullet goes into the tube as easily as the second. Even top of the line TC’s don’t do that. My best hunting friend finally shot it two weeks ago. He owns a super sweet TC. Interchangeable barrels. 50 cal ML to a 30-06 with a swap of the barrel. After his shot he handed it back to me and said “I had no idea.” And on top of that it hits like a hammer. A sledge hammer. Simply stated it is a super accurate, super simple, absolute deer killer with an excellent trigger. It makes a guy that’s an OK shot hit everything he points at. In the right hands I have zero doubt it’s easily MOA with a 22” barrel launching 400 grains of lead. Finally - every time I tick the trigger it goes boom. Every time.

Try and locate someone that has one and see if you can load/shoot it. You'll see for yourself. I bought into the White game over 20 years ago and have never felt the need to upgrade to a better, more accurate muzzleloader. It's been rock solid accurate and dependable from day 1.

Browning said:
I would like to know what makes the White's so desirable among the muzzeloader crowd? I mean, Jim Shockey swears by his Thompson Center and I doubt it's because he gets them for free. What is it about the White that gets it such a great rep?

Two things :
Quality and accuracy .

As far as Jim Shockey he swears by anything that sponsors him. :)

I agree with others, quality and accuracy. I'll add that speaking to Doc himself beats a customer service representative that works part-time and has no clue what they are talking about.

Latest posts

Back