New to me White Bison

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browndogz

Reaction score
I got a White Bison, I understand this is the lowest end White. I am cleaning it up and have looked into peep sights. The only one I have found is the Williams WGRS. Not seeing anything for Williams FP and called Lyman they said they have nothing.

Is the WGRS my only option?

no the Lyman 57sme I believe will work have one on my Model 97 assume it should work on the Bison,the SME may not be correct.. theres a regular version and the one with target knobs the latter is the one I have..

That Bison should have the holes pre drilled for the Lyman. Sometimes you have to do some modifying of the stock so there is room for it. Look hard and find an older all steel one in good shape if you can.

My newer lyman 57s are smaller than my older ones and clear the stock without notching it but thats on s91s also my bison has the older larger 57 on it

I found this on MM so maybe I give the Lyman a try

"Best peep sight that fits without modification?

Both the Lyman 57 SME or SMET (T stands for "target") and the Williams WGRS will mount without issue; I have SME/SMETs on a couple of my Whites, and they work well. (Just don't leave the target peep in your rifle when you go to the mountains..."

Congrats on the Bison!! I had one for the younger/smaller grandson and sold it (to save him some weight) for a .451 Model 97. Turns out both guns weighed the same!
The Bison was very accurate for us, you will enjoy it!!

Thanks, in looking at the mounting screws for the 57SME it looks like there is no way around notching the stock the screws are half covered. Any problems with the target model while hunting?

Might be silly question, are all 57sme to the same spec? I saw something on that said "3 styles fit hundreds of guns" are there different 57sme's?

Browndogz said:
Thanks, in looking at the mounting screws for the 57SME it looks like there is no way around notching the stock the screws are half covered. Any problems with the target model while hunting?

Might be silly question, are all 57sme to the same spec? I saw something on that said "3 styles fit hundreds of guns" are there different 57sme's?
I had a 3X9X40 scope on mine, so can't help you there.

I would say they are all to the same spec but cant say for sure, what you might do is contact whoever your thinking about purchasing from and call/e-mail them and ask..

I own two of the old better steel ones. I have also owned the newer aluminum ones. I don't remember there being any difference in dimensions at all.

I called Lyman today and talked to their guy and he confirmed all the same. He thought the profile of the aluminum might have a slightly thicker profile. I am going to look for an older metal one. I need to go to costco in the next week and there is an old gunsmith nearby. Hoping he has one in his boxes for sights.

Where do you live ? Maybe someone can help you take care of that. if you live in az.i can help I've done about 15 of them it's very easy to notch stock and touch up. Btw they make a adjustable aperture for that sight I have one for all my peep sights.

Stuffer,

Thanks for the offer, I did pick up a 57 (steel on ebay and modified the stock and used black shoe polish to clean up where I had to remove the material. The barrel is a little pitted and a buggar to get spotless clean. It seems to shoot ok and I can dial that later this year. It was to be a gun for our son but it's not what I expected to give him. I'll keep looking for a real nice .451 or .504.

Which adjustable aperture are you using and I you hunting with it?

I don't live in AZ but go there fairly often as my mom lives in Sedona..

Have to ask, have you killed a Javelina with your Javelina?

I

It's a merit adjustable aperture and I have one on all my rifles. No haven't hunted javelina with it yet hopefully next year I will though I'll keep you posted.

I'm considering a peep from my M97. I haven't called anyone yet about it, but from what it looks like the Williams FP-98 is supposed to fit it. If I'm wrong someone please set me straight. What I see is that since the cocking lever is on the left side of the action, you can't uses a lot of the designs that are out there. So the FP-98 was designed for the old Mausers. They had a bolt release on the left side so the elevation leg has to go down the right side of the action. I see that as the same situation as the White M97. I've used the Williams on my Knight, it has target knobs on it. I didn't have to change my front bead on the Knight. But I've still got some shooting before I think I'll be ready to make any changes.

Back