whitetail hunter and no excuses-powder help!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkwheat28

Reaction score
Finally tried no excuses bullets in the 50 cal 460 grain. Load easy and easy clean up with 777FFG. But I cant get it to dial in at 100 yards with my williams FP peep sight. Any load suggestions? Ive gone from 80-100 by volume and not getting what I want for confidence in a cow elk hunt this month.

I'd try backing the powder down. Try 65 or 70 grains. You may be pushing then to fast and leading things up

yes plenty of power with that chunk of lead i put a 495 no excuses through a bulls shoulders with 65 grains of 2 f. another thought i have a super 91 that tightened up the groups alot switching from 777 ffg to 777 fffg.

Ok, thanks so much guys. I've been using my white for 20 years and just found this site. Just started using the 777 after years of pyrodex select R/S.

70-80g of T7 seems to be the sweet spot in my Whites. More than plenty to kill an elk at those ranges.

I should mention I'm using CCI #11 magnum caps as 209 is not legal in idaho. Fffg still a go?

Update: switched to 777 fffg and dropped load to 65 grains. Nice groups and hit right where I wanted after a few small sight adjustments. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Try the RWS caps. I get much more consistent groups with them than I do the CCI's in my Whites.

I personally use them all the time. It seems to help Shrink my groups a little, think it helps to clean the bore a little between shots, I believe it helps preventing getting lead in the bore by protecting the bottom of the bullet, but more importantly help seals the gas from escaping around the bullet which in turns helps in obtaining accuracy. For my 451 Whites I use the 50 cal felt wads with no issues getting them down the bore.

With my White I have never needed wads with conicals. But with my Knight I have to use a wad with conicals. Without them it throws the shots off the paper. With them it shoots nice tight groups.

Dave C said:
Try the RWS caps. I get much more consistent groups with them than I do the CCI's in my Whites.

Picked some up today at Sportsmans Warehouse as well as some felt wads. Gonna try another range session just to see what it does.

They're a hotter cap so you may have to make a slight adjustment in your powder charge.

Use strap on lead sled solo for my white? Just donned on me this could be part of my accuracy issues with heavier loads. Just can't understand why I should t be able to use heavier loads. Feeling really stupid if that's been my issue all along...... :wall:

you can tear your gun up strapping it to a lead sled shooting heavy magnum loads possibility of cracking stock..lead sleds are known for tearing guns up if they cant move enough with the recoil. you don't need magnum loads with a big 460 gr conical, take a piece of firewood and shoot it from 40-50 yds end to end and see how far it penetrates..
I was shooting(.451 White 460 gr slug) in my woods into the side of a hill and had my target set up in front of a 8 in maple tree and 3 of the slugs hit about 2 in. from the edge of the tree and they tore off about a 14 in chunk out of the side of the tree, plenty of energy at 55 yds with 80 gr of 777.

It's OK to use a sled but just don't overload it with weight or strap it down. I use a sled all the time when load testing as it takes some of the human error out of group testing. However, I only use 10 lbs of wt on it. 10 lbs is enough to take most of the recoil bite out of my shoulder and is close enough to simulate true counter-pressure while allowing me to spend long sessions at the range without feeling beat up. I've shot a number of rifles/loads this way and have yet to find one that shoots different groups or POI when switching off from sled to an actual hunting position.

I cracked a Ramline Stock on my .35 Whelen using a sled and two bags of shot. Ramline had me send it back, and replaced it. I only started using the sled while I was recovering from a shoulder injury, I've since just given up on using them. I think shooting the White 97 was about the easiest shooting ML I've ever shot.

Latest posts

Back