???White Rifle Parts?????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickasaw_hunter

Reaction score
I found a White Rifle today for what might be a good price. But I know nothing about White Rifles, I would have made an offer right there on the spot but I needed to know more before I adopted this particular rifle. I live in Colorado, this rifle is marked .451, so no elk hunting with it. Someone had also taken the top portion of the Williams rear sight off of it, probably to clear the objective lens of a scope, also a no go for CO.
I've spent some time with the search function on here and might have learned a lot more if Photobucket....oh well.
The rifle is missing the cocking piece, bolt, whatever it is called.
I don't know what model this is and I haven't been able to tell since all the photobucket pics are missing. It does not have knurled plunger cocking knob, it does have a large knurled disassembly knob (?) on the back of the action that screws in. There is a long cut in the left side of the action and it looks like something is supposed to be in there to pull the bolt/plunger back.
So my first big question is, can I get that part for this rifle?
Does the rifle have a combo tool similar to what Knight uses to remove the breech plug and nipple?
I hope I described it well enough you can give me some help on this. If I can get the part I'll buy it. Of course someone else could buy it while I'm diddling around trying to find parts. Of course they won't be shooting it they don't have a way to cock it.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

I did find the White website, it doesn't work very well, lots of links don't work. I did send an email to Doc White asking about the part for what I have now learned is a Whitetail model.
Is that site still viable?

You might post your questions in the "DWB" section of this forum. That is where the white experts hang out. Good luck.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

It should say right on the left side of the barrel the model/caliber. If you could post a pic of the rifle, it would be a lot easier to point you in the right direction.

When I had it in my hands I didn't know enough to know what I should be looking for. I now know it is a Whitetail and the thingy I need is called a cocking lever. It looks like I might could make a new one with just a little chunk of round bar stock in a drill press, but a real replacement part would be better.
As best I can tell from rooting around the internet is I wouldn't really need a combo tool similar to what Knight uses, but could just use a common 3/8 socket to remove the breech plug. It also looks like the nipple may be a machined in part of the breech plug, is that the case or is the nipple a more conventional design?
I know pictures would answer a lot of questions I don't even know enough to ask yet, but I won't be able to get any pics until I own it, and I'm not going to own it unless I can make it work.
For me here in Colorado this gun has a little going against it being a .451, but the State knows better than I do and limits me to just deer and antelope with a .45.
I think it is a M97 but not sure about that, but I am certain it's a whitetail and doesn't have a cocking lever and only the bottom half of the rear sight.
Thanks for all the comments, hopefully Doc will answer my email soon and I can make a decision on this little rifle before someone else snaps it up.
Thanks for all the help and advice.

you are correct that cocking lever could be made without to much hassle. the nipple and breech plug are machined together and sights are available. i hunt with 410& 451 whites for deer and antelope every year here in colorado they are the best of the best.

Thank you, that answers a lot of questions. Hopefully Doc White will get back to me soon. I'll post back if/when I get this rifle.

OK as of today about 1:00 pm (MST) I really need a cocking lever. No word back from Doc yet but it's only been a day. I took the plunge and am now the proud owner of a Model 97 G-series .451. I do have pictures, but have no idea of how to post them. I'll keep searching on how to do that but in the meantime I'll look to see if I can make something.
If anyone who actually knows how to post a picture and has a cocking lever could post up a picture on one I'd really appreciate it, since I don't know what the shape of the lever looks like on the end that's in the rifle.
I'm very anxious to shoot this rifle, but first I have to be able to cock it, and then sight it, still need the top half of a Williams sight. It came to in the night that I don't think I can lose on this rifle, for what I paid, I could part it out and make money, but I'd rather shoot it and do some deer hunting with it.

Doc got back to me! The part is available for $15 shipping included. I'm thrilled, I sent him the request from my MSN hotmail account and someway or other the replay came back on my Gmail account. Since I don't use my Gmail account, just have to have one for my chromebook, I don't check it often, but now that I know where to find his replies, this should go smoother.

chickasaw_hunter said:
Doc got back to me! The part is available for $15 shipping included. I'm thrilled, I sent him the request from my MSN hotmail account and someway or other the replay came back on my Gmail account. Since I don't use my Gmail account, just have to have one for my chromebook, I don't check it often, but now that I know where to find his replies, this should go smoother.
Make sure you have the (for lack of a better name) tip that fits inside the spring inside the hammer assembly. This tip on the smaller end, also will fit inside the recess in the cocking lever so the lever will not come out upon firing the gun. You will have to have it or will loose the cocking lever. I had this happen once when I didn't get mine inserted correctly and the lever flew out, luck was with me an I found it, lesson learned.

The M97 is a great little gun, especially in .451 I have one you will enjoy it! Any ?? just ask...

I guess we could call it a gizmo or a widget, but it is there on the end of my hammer spring. I found a bolt shank in my parts bin that fit the hole in the hammer, I spun it up in the drill press did a little polish and then used a file to cut a notch in one side of it to fit that little "cap" on the end of the spring. That'll do until I can get a proper one, but it does work. Now that I've made on I could do a better one next time, but I don't expect a next time, after I get the factory replacement. Thanks for the advice. CH

Now get yourself some 777-3F or Swiss-3F and start shooting. You'll find you'll probably find your sweet spot anywhere from 65-75gr of either powder with bullets ranging from 350-465 gr. Also, get yourself some RWS1075 or CCI#11 Magnum caps and you're all set. If you can't find either Remington #11 caps works also.

Enjoy that White and Post some pictures of the rifle and targets.

I think I may have solved the code to posting here. Here is my White M97. The cocking lever is something I made out of a lag bolt, I'm still waiting on the parts from Doc. I've paid him twice so I'm hopeful I'll find them in the mailbox soon. I can shoot it using my bootleg bolt, but still need the top half of the sight.
Anyway here's some photo's of it, mostly for a test of my photo fu:

Attachments

• IMGP1439.JPG
    IMGP1439.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 319
  • IMGP1438.JPG
    IMGP1438.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 319
Is that a piece of rubber between the hammer an nipple?
I keep the spring out of the hammer when storing the rifle to keep the tension in the spring. Works for me...

Doc came thru and I got my parts in the mail last night. So now I have a complete rifle and a winter storm warning and a daughter with a broken heater in her condo, so looks like it will be a few days before I get a chance to fire this for the first time.

Ed sent me a care package, although he called it a sample pack of his cast bullets. I'm looking forward to shooting those. I think all I need is to just add a deer tag.

Toytruck, what you're seeing is a faucet washer. I just keep them over all of my nipples so keep things sealed up. They will also serve as a shock absorber if you want to dry fire.

Hopefully, my photo fu will work on this attempt and show a pic of my Whitetail .451 fully restored and ready for action.

Attachments

• IMGP1447 - Edited.jpg
    IMGP1447 - Edited.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 283
  • IMGP1445.JPG
    IMGP1445.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 283
As I look outside this morning I see conditions we pray for during elk season. Ironic when it comes to shooting not so much, so far the most snow we've had all year and it's still going strong.
I am anxious to shoot this thing. I get lot of suggestions to use 777, something I've never used. I have some real 2F and Pyrodex Select on hand and that's probably what the first shots will be shot with. Back in olden golden days, before there was 777 or BH209, Tony Knight told me he was getting the best results from Pyrodex Select. Of course in those days the only Knight rifles were the MK 85 and the BK 92, we were both at a Colorado Division of Wildlife training session. Tony was there doing a demo, I was teaching a course. We had some down time and Tony and I spent a day touring Colorado mountain towns looking for black powder. Fedex had lost his shipment and he didn't have any propellent for his demo. We finally found one pound of 2F in Gunnison. So I got to spend some time shooting with Tony. I was a ardent traditional shooter and Tony really wanted to win me over, not long after our trip together I found myself on the phone with Toby Bridges and I had a BK-92 on its way to me. Yes I had to pay for it, I couldn't have taken it if it had been free. For years after that I'd get a call Tony every now and again to discuss muzzleloading regulations in Colorado and other states I dealt with. I have been aware of White rifles for several years, but just that, aware, I didn't know anything about them. Now that I actually have one and have done some reading about them I'm very excited to shoot and hunt with it. At least I can used it for deer and antelope here. I look at the White as the modern Whitworth, seems to be the same concept. I'm not sure I'd want to use the polygonal bullets and rifling, but who knows. Thanks to everyone for all the info and advice. Special Thanks to Ed for the bullet pack.

Latest posts

Back