Everything I know about White Rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickasaw_hunter

Reaction score
This should be a short post, because my ignorance of White Rifles is almost boundless. If you read my other post you know I just bought a M97 .451, sans cocking lever. Doc did email me back and the lever is available for $15, I've sent him my info to order a new one. In the meantime I rooted around my shop and found the shank of a lag bolt that fit into the bolt/plunger assembly, so I cut off the head and the threads, leaving only the smooth shank. I chucked that up in my drill press and deburred and polished it up some. Then I took a set of needle files and cut a notch in one end for the little cap/stud on the end of the spring. I think it is shorter than a factory lever. I could only make it as long as the shank of that lag bolt, but it works. The rifle can now be shot, if it could be sighted. I'm ordering a new rear sight.
But so far here's what I think I know about White's:

1. White's = heavy long cast bullets vs. Knight=sabots with more pistol sized bullets
2. You shouldn't use BH208 in bare nippled plunger type actions?
3. 777 & Pyrodex work OK in Whites, would real BP be better or just about the same?

Now a few questions?

I have a mold for a .45 minie ball, I think it's from Lee, it is very long with a skirted base, IIRC it's about 425 grains. I've never shot these much, what might be a good starting load for this bullet?

I also have a .45 REAL bullet mould and several cast, I think there were two sizes of those made and I'm pretty sure it is the smaller of the two. It is a short bullet. How might I expect that to shoot out of a White and any suggestions on a starting load?

I have (bought for other rifles) a supply of sabots in .45/.358, How might I expect those to work out of my .451? I realize that apparently it is sacrilege to discuss shooting sabots in White's, but inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks, CH

Start at 70 grs and shoot at least a 3 shot group and keep bumping the charge up 5 grs till 120 grs max charge {unless you find a good one before 120 and i think you will} and pick the best one.

You cast already so i would get a mold like Ed's { accurrate molds 45-465m }shoots very well out of Whites,also the 330hp Gould mold works good also to,same deal start at 70 grs and work up in 5 gr increments and you will find a sweet spot.Mine is 85 grs 777 3f yours my be different tho.The M97 is the only 451 i don't have but maybe some day.

As for the Lee bullets i also have the 200 gr and the bullet tapers down {it really only is bore size at the top band}so probly won't shoot well but it might tho.The skirted one is more in the weight class you want to be,as for the sabots i think the closer the bullet is in size to the bore ie. a 40 cal bullet the better it shoots or so i have heard.

Have fun and shoot lots

What BP45cal stated regarding my 45-465gr mold and the Lyman 330gr Gould mold all work well with .451 Whites. My grandsons have harvested 5 deer with the 330gr Gould bullet with charges ranging from 50-65gr of 777-3F. All dropped where they were standing or a few yards away. But we also limit their shots between 50-75yds. I shoot 75gr of 777-3F with the same bullet and at 75yds and just the other day I put three bullets into almost one hole with that load. I've yet to shoot a deer this year with them but know they will not let me down. By the way for whatever reason my 330gr Mold cast bullets close to 350gr. with pure lead.

Hope to see some targets from you shortly. Also, you may want to consider ordering a Lee 452 sizing die. My dies sizes the bullets down to 451.5 and they fit nicely going down all of my White's.

Thank you Ed, you've been very helpful. I just got an email back from Doc telling me he doesn't take credit cards and only uses Paypal. So I had to break the code on my wife's Paypal account , but I got it done and am now waiting for the factory lever and he also had a sight he let me have at a bargain, especially when in the same package as the lever.
I'm not casting anymore, I gave my furnace away, I still have all my molds. My last casting session cost me over $1100. I was using old sewer line with a tar coating. Short story my dog got into the slag, ate it, came in the house and barfed all over the living room and my daughter's dog got into the action and lapped up as much as he could. I was out of town when the second half of the event happened, called home got a cool reception the dogs were at the vets. I got a really good deal on that old scrap lead, in the clarity of hindsight I could have bought a semi load of bullets for what I had to pay the vet. Both dogs lived to ripe old age far past their expected average life span. I have since been banned from casting. We're dogless now and that's more than 20 years ago, so I might get back into it.
I will post some picture, if someone will tell where the instructions are to do that, my search came up with nothing.

Sounds like me. I left a candle burning on the living room table in a clear candle holder, figuring it would burn out, and went to bed [emoji933] . Didn’t know dollar store candle holders are made of plastic! We woke me up to smoke from ceiling down to 3 ft. Living room table had a really nice coffee can sized fire [emoji91] in the middle of it. Took lots of water [emoji97] to quench that one! (I guess I always was a pyro!) ruined the table, but thank God we’re still here! So is the cat [emoji250]. He’s 23 now. Stone deaf and missing a rear leg, but doing fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiberoptik2313 said:
So is the cat [emoji250]. He’s 23 now. Stone deaf and missing a rear leg, but doing fine.

Does he answer to “Lucky” :lol: I couldn’t resist!

Look into No Excuses bullets. He carries a .451 size slip fit bullet for your white. I have not shot the 45 but have shot the 50cals. If your not casting that would be one source for bullets.

Latest posts

Back