CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

Ladle Casting

Bullet Casting, Molds, Range Reports, tips, tricks, etc.

Moderators: sabotloader, Senior Moderators

Idaholewis
Contributor
Contributor

Ladle Casting

Postby Idaholewis » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:15 am

Which Ladle do you use? I really need to get my ladles out and give ladle Casting a try, i have a Lyman, and a Rowell bottom pour Ladel. I have 2 RCBS lead pots, i think 10 pound capacity is all? They are awfully small little pots! Hopefully I’ll run across a Dutch Oven this Spring/Summer at a Garage/Estate sale, What do you guys use? And What is your heat source?
"Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

herschel conyers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Ladle Casting

Postby herschel conyers » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:21 am

I use a gas camping stove and a stainless steel kitchen pot. It works for me. Also use muffin pans to make ingots.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk
HC

ShawnT
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Postby ShawnT » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:59 am

I have an old Lyman ladle. Used to use a small RCBS cast iron pot too (RB's) but got a 20lb Lee pot now.

Like Herschel, I make my ingots on a gas camp stove with dutch oven and muffin pans.
ShawnT

NRA and NAHC Life Member
Knight Ultra Light 50 Cal
Knight .54 cal MK-95 Magnum Elite Stainless Camo
2 Knight 50 cal MK-95 Magnum Elites Stainless Black
Knight KRB7 Blue/Black 50 cal.
Knight MK-85 Stalker Blue/Black .54 cal
Knight LK-93 .36 cal. Blue Black
Ridgerunner Inline.32 cal

themoose

Postby themoose » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:58 am

I have both Lyman and Rowell bottom pour... I prefer the Rowell for the capacity and ease of use, but it is a little large for some using small pots... over the years I have found larger capacity pots so the Rowell is my mainstay...btw Lewis, just sent in another felt order... good to go for a long time

Idaholewis
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Idaholewis » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:53 pm

themoose wrote:I have both Lyman and Rowell bottom pour... I prefer the Rowell for the capacity and ease of use, but it is a little large for some using small pots... over the years I have found larger capacity pots so the Rowell is my mainstay...btw Lewis, just sent in another felt order... good to go for a long time

themoose, This felt is some REALLY nice stuff!! I just made up some wads for my 45 Last night, i have my .45 LRH 1:30 Twist ‘Hotrod Hawken’ loaded now, i plan to Group shoot both sizes of Felt Wad material soon to see if i can tell any difference? I’m gonna bet not? This is some VERY nice dense stuff! For my .45 i went with 1/2” .500 Wads, i have always used an oversized Wool Felt Wad. Looking forward to getting out and testing! The bullet is my only concern, i plan on testing this new larger 475 Grain Lyman Bullet, it is unproven in my rifles, but sure looks good! I actually think it will do best in my 1:18 Twist, but stil have to try it in my little 1:30, so far that particular rifle has shot everything I have tried in it from good, to excellent.
"Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Magnum

Postby Magnum » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:34 pm

I have an old propane plumbers stove, with a pot that I use to melt up 40 lbs. at a clip for fishing gear. I can’t tell you how many 1000’s of pounds I melted through that rig over the years. I recently got a Lee IV bottom pour electric that I love to use because I don’t have to wear my headphones to silence it. It pours enough for my needs so far. I have ladles from 5 lbs. down to 6oz. Depends on the project,smelting ingots, casting bullets.
Casting bullets is a completely different process from casting fishing weights and lures. I’ve come to learn more about it from guy’s on here and the other place but I’m still learning and stay open minded.
Idaholewis mentioned once about coating his empty pot with oil when finished casting. What do others do ? Would using melted parriffin be better (easier to let melt into the next pour)? Not meaning to get off topic, Magnum.

52Bore
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby 52Bore » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 pm

My simple setup.
Bullet casting setup.jpg

Idaholewis
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Idaholewis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Magnum wrote:I have an old propane plumbers stove, with a pot that I use to melt up 40 lbs. at a clip for fishing gear. I can’t tell you how many 1000’s of pounds I melted through that rig over the years. I recently got a Lee IV bottom pour electric that I love to use because I don’t have to wear my headphones to silence it. It pours enough for my needs so far. I have ladles from 5 lbs. down to 6oz. Depends on the project,smelting ingots, casting bullets.
Casting bullets is a completely different process from casting fishing weights and lures. I’ve come to learn more about it from guy’s on here and the other place but I’m still learning and stay open minded.
Idaholewis mentioned once about coating his empty pot with oil when finished casting. What do others do ? Would using melted parriffin be better (easier to let melt into the next pour)? Not meaning to get off topic, Magnum.

I’m not sure about melting the Paraffin in the pot for preservation? Might be a slick way to go if it coats and seals good? No need to clean/degrease the pot before starting, let it smoke and burn itself off. Rust on the pot sidewalls is the ENEMY of a bottom pour! My way of using oil in the pot after a Casting session is in all honesty a NUISANCE, But it works very well, being a bottom pour it’s important to maintain it! I try and plan my Casting session out to try and use up the pot full, and whatever i dont use goes in an ingot mold, with the pot empty and cooled down i coat it really good, Motor oil, anything is better than nothing. The big pain of a bottom pour is Rusted sidewalls that inevitably contaminate, resulting in the bottom spout clogging up. By doing the above procedure with oil a bottom pour is basically trouble free, and in my opinion a slick, and REALLY fast way to cast High quality bullets.

Magnum

Postby Magnum » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:08 pm

Yes Lewis that was my thought about the pariffin. I use it as a lubricant and rust preventative on my woodworking tools and machines. It may be old school but that’s who I learned from. It might preserve the steel pot and burn off quick like you say. Maybe I’ll try it out. I guess beeswax might keep the rust at bay?
Magnum

Return to “Bullet Casting”