Another new .45 Greaser

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I ended up with another mold I think will be a fun little bullet if i can get it to shoot in my 1:30 Twist Hawken? 300 Grain bullet (292 to be exact) I figure I’ll try these with lighter powder charges and see what happens? If this one ends up shooting well it should make a GREAT little Deer Bullet! They drop at .457-.458, i ran them thru my .454 Sizer, they slid through like butter. Not sure if i will take them down to .452 or not? Will soon find out. This 1:30 Twist GM barrel has shot everything I’ve tried in it well, from good to EXCELLENT, No doubt theres a point it will not, but I haven’t found it yet?

I like the way it looks! Kinda similar to the Lyman 330gr Gould bullet, except the Gould mold produces a Hollow Point. Plus I'm sure it would be a good bullet to start Kids or Women with who are not familiar with shooting. My 9yr old grandson at the time shot his first deer with the Gould bullet with a charge of 50gr of 777-3F. Man, talk about a light recoil, but at 50 yds that doe just dropped in its tracks.

Harleysboss said:
Thats a nice looking bullet. Whats the length? If its any where around .75 to .80 should shoot in a 1-30 twist no problem

I am pretty confident it will shoot good, this 1:30 GM LRH .45 shoots a Maxi ball quite well. This new bullet reads .780 on the dot

Against a .45 Maxi

edmehlig said:
I like the way it looks! Kinda similar to the Lyman 330gr Gould bullet, except the Gould mold produces a Hollow Point. Plus I'm sure it would be a good bullet to start Kids or Women with who are not familiar with shooting. My 9yr old grandson at the time shot his first deer with the Gould bullet with a charge of 50gr of 777-3F. Man, talk about a light recoil, but at 50 yds that doe just dropped in its tracks.

Light recoil, and fun to shoot is EXACTLY why I decided to try this bullet. I would like to teach my wife how to shoot a Muzzleloader and have her deer hunt with one, getting WALLOPED on takes the fun out of it for a new person trying to shoot. Along with teaching them bad habits such as flinching. This little bullet with a light charge should be a FUN little combo! My Barrel is 28” long and 1” across the flats, she’s a heavy set ole girl! :D

I ran that through a twist calculator and it falls just about in the sweet spot for 1-30. On a side note, my 45 cal. "hotrod" Hawken is now all put together. Just fitted the lyman globe front sight. If the weather lays down tomorrow I will take her for a test drive. I will give you a report on your PP Bullet when it get one.

Harleysboss said:
I ran that through a twist calculator and it falls just about in the sweet spot for 1-30. On a side note, my 45 cal. "hotrod" Hawken is now all put together. Just fitted the lyman globe front sight. If the weather lays down tomorrow I will take her for a test drive. I will give you a report on your PP Bullet when it get one.

Good deal my friend! Glad to hear you got her ready to Roll!! I picked up some .444-380s this morning, excited to try them out! I am confident they will shoot as good as the 400s, if not I know where to get the 400s! :D

I just got done loading my 1:30 Hotrod Hawken with this new little 300 Grain bullet above, they were ran through my .454 sizer, i liked the way they loaded! I used a .45 Cal Oxyoke wool OP Wad on top of 60 Weight Grains of Goex 3F, hopefully they shoot well! Its nasty rainy weather here right now and Windy, i was hoping to get to shoot tomorrow but not sure it’s gonna happen?

I have an old .58 Cal Lyman Hawken rifle propped up against the wall right now also, loaded and ready for a test run, 490 Grain Minie ball, 75 Grains of 3F, I like the sound of my little 1:30 Hotrod Hawken and this 300 Grain bullet MUCH better tho! :lol: Definitely keep me posted on your New Hotrod!!

Lewis, is that the Lyman 457191 bullet ? That is one the Lyman Molds I have never tried but was curious about.

Saxtonyoung said:
Lewis, is that the Lyman 457191 bullet ? That is one the Lyman Molds I have never tried but was curious about.

Sax, Yep that is the Mold. The 300 grain part is what intrigued me about it. Most .458-459 rifle molds start around 400 Grains, and since i have that base WELL covered i was interested in this lighter bullet. According to Buffalo Arms This is a copy of the original factory bullet for the 45-60, 45-70 and 45-125 Express. It should make a great little Muzzleloader bullet! Funny i catch myself saying little, there is really nothing little about 300 Grains! I guess when you are use to 400 minimum it makes it seem that way

Thanks edmehlig, You have created a worse monster out of me! :lol: I don’t know why, but i had never thought about sizing a .458 GG Bullet Down to run in my .45 Cal? When Ed mentioned that he had sized down the few .458 top band GG bullets i had sent him to try, it peaked my interest. I remember reading about Ed’s Lyman Gould bullet and him sizing it to .452, A guy can get a cheap .452, .454 Lee push through sizer, and you are in business with .458-.459 Rifle bullets/molds with exterior bands. Ed makes it even cooler by Pan Lubing the full size bullets, then running them through his .452, you have a perfectly lubed and sized Bullet for your .45 Cal Muzzleloader

Hey I’m always willing to help a Fellow ML shooter out anyway I can. I learned a lot from this site and from talking to fellow ML nuts like us and I love passing what I learned to others.

Looks good, no reason it shouldn't shoot well in a 1:30.
I made a 350gr HP (L=0.900") shoots well in my 1:30. Shot a crow out of a tree at 130 yards and banged the 500 yard mini-creedmoor many times..

Attachments

• 350gr GG HP.jpg
    350gr GG HP.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 285
52Bore said:
Looks good, no reason it shouldn't shoot well in a 1:30.
I made a 350gr HP (L=0.900") shoots well in my 1:30. Shot a crow out of a tree at 130 yards and banged the 500 yard mini-creedmoor many times..
350gr GG HP.jpg

52, That is a really good looking bullet! Very similar to the Lyman Gould (457122)

Re: RE: Re: Another new .45 Greaser

Idaholewis said:
muzzlestuffer said:
What mold are you using

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Lyman 457191, Hopefully get to test these out soon, will post results when i do
Thanks I just bought a GM 45 LRH started doing some testing last week with some 380 gr white power punch and some Parker 475 grain custom

Re: RE: Re: Another new .45 Greaser

muzzlestuffer said:
Idaholewis said:
muzzlestuffer said:
What mold are you using

Lyman 457191, Hopefully get to test these out soon, will post results when i do
Thanks I just bought a GM 45 LRH started doing some testing last week with some 380 gr white power punch and some Parker 475 grain custom

Here is a bullet i shoot out to 500 yards with my 45 GM LRH, These are the most accurate bullets i have shot.

Buffalo Arms .444-400 Cupped base, these are swaged bullets making them all identical, I use a .449 sizer just to ‘Iron’ the paper which makes for easier loading.

A typical 100 yard Target, 7 shots

505 Yard Line, I’ve only done this a few times, my best Group at this Range is 3 shots in 7 inches

This 457191 is a bullet that I have wanted to try out for sometime but never acquired the mold. Well this morning I was fortunate to win the bid on one and am looking forward to using it. Of course I will try it as a greased bullet like Lewis is doing but will probably try it in a sabot for 50 & 52 caliber use as well. In the past i have used the 457193 - 405gn bullet as a greased bullet with great success but this new mold will let me shoot a bullet with less weight.

Back