Another new .45 Greaser

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, I made a terrible mistake, I got my recipe's mixed up. Here is the original Bob Bowers recipe that I used for years. The one I posted was another one Bob gave me that he was experimenting with.

Blue .451 Caliber Lube

Ingredients
9 Tablespoons Heavy Mineral Oil
5 Tablespoons Odorless Tasteless Caster Oil
6 Tablespoons Anhydrous Lanolin, slightly rounded
1 Tablespoon Carnuba Turtle Wax Car Wax Paste, Heaping
1 Tablespoon Ivory Soap, shaved
1.5 Tablespoons Paraffin Wax
1 lb White Beeswax
2 Teaspoons Blue Candle Wax Dye (From Michael’s)

Recipe
Place mineral oil, castor oil, paraffin wax, and anhydrous lanolin in a pot to heat. Once the anhydrous lanolin and paraffin wax has melted, bring the mix to medium heat until mix begins to smoke. Add the shaved Ivory soap. The soap will foam and not mix in well till the final step. Add beeswax and blue candle wax dye. Stir until wax has melted completely. Add heaping tablespoon of turtle wax. Stir until mix boils evenly and let boil until done, stirring occasionally. Bring heat to low and wait till all sediment stays on the bottom. Try to keep from having enough heat for mix to smoke. Pour while hot into a container or a 1.5 quart crock-pot in you are going to use the Crock Pot Lubing method. Continue pouring until you reach the sediment. Do not allow the sediment to enter the container.

Crock Pot Lubing
Heat mix in crock-pot on low heat until liquid. Take clear tubing with a 3/8" ID and cut about a 6" piece making sure the end is cut squarely across. Insert the nose of the bullet to be lubed into the tubing till you reach the first groove on the bullet. Dip the bullet into the lube, take out and hold in the air for a second or two. Wipe the excess off the bottom of the bullet on a towel and squeeze the bullet out onto a soft towel. Once you are done, start with the coolest bullets first. Run the bullet through your sizer die, and wipe off any extra lube. The only extra you normally get is a little extra on the nose. Let cool to room temperature overnight and you are ready to hunt!

Pan Lubing (Recommend)
I currently melt my lube in a Dutch oven (Pot within a Pot). Then place my bullets into a silicone bread pan and pour the melted led into the pan until all lands and groves are covered. I let the wax harden for about 1hr and then push the bullets out. If required, I then size them and wipe any excess lube off the nose.

Here's a YouTube video on Pan Lubing and a recipe this guy uses. https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click.

Again, I found by letting the lube harden for about 45-60 minutes works best for me.

GM54-120 said:
Eds blue lube worked very well with my BH209 loads too.

It’s amazing how much bullet lube can effect accuracy! I was using some stuff a guy sent me called Gatfeo no. 1, it was a harder lube, accuracy wasn’t bad but wasn’t great either, at the time this was with my new unproven GG bullets, i tried a MUCH softer lube 1 day out of accidental chance, my groups shrunk right up to as good as my pet PP loads! I went back and tried the Gatfeo stuff again to see if i was having an off day? Nope! It was that stiffer lube that wasn’t working.

This blue stuff of Ed’s has a really good texture/feel to it, i just picked up all of the ingredients today to make a batch of it, hopefully mine turns out as good as Ed’s stuff!

I was using gatafeo, with good results in a white, But I didn't really like the texture either, it seemed hard and flaky, so i tried it with just about 50-50 mutton tallow and beeswax, with just a few percent of gulf wax and liked that pretty well. Accuracy is good or better. Maybe a bit soft for summer, but I don't shoot much when it gets hot.
I have a short mold on order from Mountain molds to be a .452 350 grn 2 cavity. I plan on sending it on to have 1 cavity hollow point. I have several big molds in 460grn + and have been wanting a light plinker. I just hope it shoots in a 20 twist. If not, it should be OK in a 28

Is it me or are those lube grooves spiraling down at an angle??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lewis, everyday I check this thread to see a range report on your "light weight" bullet. Lets go get out there! If the weather holds tomorrow, I'm going to get to shoot your PP bullets in my newly finished 45 hotrod.

Whatever no excuse uses on his bullets I don't care for much, he uses to much and the stuff is hard/tacky and sticks to everything, Ed`s lube is a lot nicer to mess with.

Squeeze said:
I was using gatafeo, with good results in a white, But I didn't really like the texture either, it seemed hard and flaky, so i tried it with just about 50-50 mutton tallow and beeswax, with just a few percent of gulf wax and liked that pretty well. Accuracy is good or better. Maybe a bit soft for summer, but I don't shoot much when it gets hot.
I have a short mold on order from Mountain molds to be a .452 350 grn 2 cavity. I plan on sending it on to have 1 cavity hollow point. I have several big molds in 460grn + and have been wanting a light plinker. I just hope it shoots in a 20 twist. If not, it should be OK in a 28

Harleysboss said:
Lewis, everyday I check this thread to see a range report on your "light weight" bullet. Lets go get out there! If the weather holds tomorrow, I'm going to get to shoot your PP bullets in my newly finished 45 hotrod.

Harleysboss, Tomorrow is the plan, i have everything ready to go! It has been YUK weather here for shooting, Wet n more Wet, kinda reminds me of the Wa Coast, Which is odd for around here this time of year, it is usually frozen/cold. From what i see on my phones weather app It is supposed to be semi decent tomorrow tho? I will definitely post my results. 75 yards is about all i can get at the little pit i will be at tomorrow, You have seen it, by the Big Fancy Farm where i took the pictures of the 2 solid White wild turkeys. It is about the only place i can get to shoot this time of year due to the snow.

Back