Bullet Lube Recipies

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is the original Bob Bowers recipe that I used for years.

Blue .451 Caliber Lube

Ingredients
9 Tablespoons Heavy Mineral Oil
5 Tablespoons Odorless Tasteless Castor Oil
6 Tablespoons Anhydrous Lanolin, slightly rounded
1 Tablespoon Carnuba Turtle Wax Car Wax Paste, Heaping
1 Tablespoon Ivory Soap shaved
1.5 Tablespoons Paraffin Wax
1 lb White Beeswax
2 Teaspoons Blue Candle Wax Dye (From Michael’s)

Recipe
Place mineral oil, castor oil, paraffin wax, and anhydrous lanolin in a pot to heat. Once the anhydrous lanolin and paraffin wax has melted, bring the mix to medium heat until mixture begins to smoke. Add the shaved Ivory soap. The soap will foam and not mix in well till the final step. Add beeswax and blue candle wax dye. Stir until the wax has melted completely. Add a heaping tablespoon of turtle wax. Stir until mix boils evenly and let boil until done, stirring occasionally. Bring heat to low and wait till all sediment stays on the bottom. Try to keep from having enough heat for the mix to smoke. Pour while hot into a container or a 1.5-quart crock-pot in you are going to use the Crock Pot Lubing method. Continue pouring until you reach the sediment. Do not allow the sediment to enter the container.

Crock Pot Lubing
Heat mix in crock-pot on low heat until liquid. Take clear tubing with a 3/8" ID and cut about a 6" piece making sure the end is cut squarely across. Insert the nose of the bullet to be lubed into the tubing till you reach the first groove on the bullet. Dip the bullet into the lube, take out and hold in the air for a second or two. Wipe the excess off the bottom of the bullet on a towel and squeeze the bullet out onto a soft towel. Once you are done, start with the coolest bullets first. Run the bullet through your sizer die, and wipe off any extra lube. The only extra you normally get is a little extra on the nose. Let cool to room temperature overnight and you are ready to hunt!

Pan Lubing (Recommend)
I currently melt my lube in a Dutch oven (Pot in a Pot). Then place my bullets into a silicone bread pan and pour the melted led into the pan until all lands and groves are covered. I let the wax harden for about 1hr and then push the bullets out. If required, I then size them and wipe any excess lube off the nose.

Here's a YouTube video on Pan Lubing and a recipe this guy uses. https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click.

Again, I found by letting the lube harden for about 45-60 minutes works best for me.

Nice recipe! I’ll have to try that.
I tried making a lube using beeswax and Fluid Film which is lanolin. I don’t have the ratios in front of me right now but I was pleased with the results. I use the fluid film on my vehicles for an anti rust coating.

Thank you for all involved who made this category happen!
Magnum

Here are some bullets that Ed sent me with this Lube, i REALLY like the feel/texture of this stuff! I made up a batch last night and feel it turned out really well? My Lanolin was just ‘pure’ Lanolin, and not the ‘Anhydrous’ Lanolin called for. And my Beeswax was a Darker Yellow stuff, I didn’t have any Blue Candle Wax die either, So Mine came out a nice Tan Cream color when cooled. I think mine might be a little bit stiffer? My Beeswax weighed in at 1.06 lb, I was thinking about bringing it back up to heat and adding another full Tablespoon of the Castor and The Heavy mineral, actually a half Tablespoon of each, making 1 full Tablespoon. I need to try this stuff first tho, i would be bummed if i got it to thin!! I really don’t think it would though? I stil better test it first! Thanks again Ed for sharing an AWESOME Recipe!

Here is a picture of the bullets that Ed sent me with the blue .451 lube

Latest posts

Back