“Shout out” to Accurate Molds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I would like to throw a shout out to Tom at Accurate Bullet Molds, The Man knows his business! No doubt Many of you already know this. Just throwing it out there for folks that don’t, anyone on the fence about ordering a custom mold don’t hesitate! Tom will get you what you want! I have ordered several Custom molds from Tom and he is A+ Class! You can tell him what you want through an email and he gets right on it, if you have any questions/Concerns he will help you through it, in quick order you will get an email telling you that your mold is now in his Catalog with the mold # so you can go take a look at his Draw up, from that point you can stil make changes to band Diameters etc. The quality of his molds are top shelf! Big heavy sprue plates, True works of art!

Here are a few examples of his molds, First up is an example of an Aluminum mold, This is my .54 Cal Paper Patch hunting bullet, Parent bullet was the Lee S&W .500, The ‘School Bus’ Bullet. This bullet shoots REALLY good in both of my fast twist .54s, Lyman GPH 1:32 twist, And Green Mountain LRH 1:28 Twist .54 Cal (My White Whale Barrel)

This is an Iron/steel mold, this mold was made directly from the Lee S&W 500 bullet for Paper Patching my .50 Cal Stainless 1:28 twist Green Mountain LRH, This bullet shoots VERY well in my rifle! The barrel i got from Dave Anderson (Cayugad)

Another example of an Iron/Steel mold, This is a slick sided PP mold for .54 Cal, the little side is 515 Grains, and the Big is 650 Grains. You need a dump truck of lead backed up to your lead pot when casting with this mold! :lol: TRUE STORY!

I am in complete agreement, I really like my 4 Accurate molds.

I have a few, I cant say I like em better than any other custom, or quality mold, but they are better than any lee/lyman.stuff. They do have a huge catalog, bigger than most custom makers. So If i'm looking for something specific, they are almost always the first stop

I've spent a lot of time looking at their catalog and heard very positive reports but have not bought or used one of their molds yet.

The pictures Lewis has posted resemble the Mountain Molds I have purchased in the past and had good success with.

I make my molds with a HP and/or another pin for solid. Ed knows what I'm referring to.
My only complaint - Accurate/Tom he will not drill/ream a thru hole for a HP pin... Other than that I've been pleased.

Certainly not trying to step on any toes, just curious if you guys felt that a hollow point was more beneficial when it came to taking game. Although I have played around with hollow points, I have had great success with the metplat of these larger bullets making clean kills.

Saxtonyoung said:
Certainly not trying to step on any toes, just curious if you guys felt that a hollow point was more beneficial when it came to taking game. Although I have played around with hollow points, I have had great success with the metplat of these larger bullets making clean kills.
Look at Ron's 50gr BH209 test. He and I did a test with a 50cal lead conical HP that weighed 475gr . The velocity was around 950fps and it this equated to 1000ft-lbs at just under 300yds with my 85gr Black Powder load (doubt I'd shoot one at that distance - just the way the data came out). There were 3 different sizes of HP to get the HP to expand - I think the metplat on these HP is 5/16".
IMO, at short range and bone - it probably doesn't matter..

This recovery or of my 52/500 HP at 80 yds was impressive and still weighed 498gr. It did hit bone on both sides.

Yet, the 52/500 bullet passed thru at 218yds. go figure..

Attachments

• 50 475 1 2 3 .JPG
    50 475 1 2 3 .JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 52 498 c.JPG
    52 498 c.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 52 12 16 k.JPG
    52 12 16 k.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 148
The doe above was nearly head on, entered the chest and the exit hole was quite large.

Probably not the post to post, this isn't about Accurate molds..

Attachments

• 52 12 16 hole.JPG
    52 12 16 hole.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 141
52, Those Hollow points are impressive!! :yeah: I have always felt like a Wide Meplat was better for Big Game than a Hollow point, But truth is i have no evidence to back that up. These BIG heavy lead bullets are gonna put a SERIOUS hurt on whatever they hit, Regardless if its a Round Nose, Flat Nose, or Hollow Point

Just for the record i have ZERO affiliation with Accurate bullet molds, I have never even spoke with the man, just email, it even says on his website that his hearing aint great or something to that affect from running machinery over the years? He prefers email. And I only have 1 other Custom bullet mold to Compare against, The BACO Elliptical i just recently purchased, it is a nice mold for sure, but I definitely prefer my Accurate molds. I have heard great things about NOE, Mountain Molds, Brooks Molds, Kal tool & Die, etc. etc. But I don’t have any of there molds to compare.

For the price, and the Quality you get, you won’t go wrong with an Accurate Bullet mold, They are VERY well made! I wish Tom could do a few other things as well, Like an Adjustable PP mold would be AWESOME!

What you pay for on a BACO mold (like Paul Jones) and other top mold makers - the bullet will drop out of the mold at the dimension you request, providing you give them the alloy. Most times a sample bullet is supplied with the mold.
Accurate is -0, +0.002" I believe. If one wants one to shoot as cast - it matters; if sized to fit - doesn't matter.

Thanks 52Bore for sharing, I have no doubt that these HPs can be effective and even devastating especially when put thru the lungs of a animal, which happens to be my main aiming point on the Whitetail I hunt. Nobody likes to admit to mistakes but about 10 years ago I took a 150+ yard shot but wasn't concentrating on the wind like I should have. Long story short, my bullet went thru the both quarters putting the deer down on the spot. Upon butchering the deer i noticed that all though there was some meat loss, It was minimal. I can't help but think that if I was using a HP the loss would be far more substantial.

Saxtonyoung said:
I can't help but think that if I was using a HP the loss would be far more substantial.

Sax, I am not so sure they would? It’s a BIG lead bullet that is rolling back into a huge mushroom, when a big wide Meplat hits they roll back as well, in a Sand bank that is. I could be wrong? When i think of devastation and destruction from a Hollow point I immediately think Carry gun, Say a .357 Magnum, with a self defense type Hollow point bullet, my .357 Magnum is loaded with exactly the opposite. I have shot and recovered many XTP bullets that were picture book perfect Mushrooms, That didn’t shed hardly any weight, just rolled back around itself, that is PRECISELY what i am looking for in a Good hunting bullet! A bullet that blows apart to shrapnel is useless to me, they destruct and bloodshot everything within feet, The reason i hunt and kill the Game i do is to eat it, NOT blow up it, Bloodshot mess you end up throwing most away, to me that is FAILURE

Lewis, I have no doubt that a big soft bullet will mushroom but not nearly as much as hollow point. The picture shown by 52Bore looks to be flattened to the size of a quarter. I process all of my own deer and can honestly say I've never recovered one of my cast bullets, perhaps if I were hunting larger game I would.

Saxtonyoung said:
Lewis, I have no doubt that a big soft bullet will mushroom but not nearly as much as hollow point. The picture shown by 52Bore looks to be flattened to the size of a quarter. I process all of my own deer and can honestly say I've never recovered one of my cast bullets, perhaps if I were hunting larger game I would.

From what I’ve seen in pictures, and talked with others, These big lead bullets travel through Game quite well, Idahoron has recovered very few bullets from Game, I feel confident i can stop 1 in a Bull Elk, hope to do that 1 of these days!

The Walls of the Sand pit i shoot in are REALLY Hard packed sand, anywhere i hang a target i am gonna be shooting in to that hard packed sand Bank, i have dug MANY MANY bullets out of those sand banks and they all look very similar, perfectly rolled back mushrooms. 40:1 rolls back just as well as softer lead, The harder 9.5 Brinell changes the tune a bit. This is definitely different than an animal, but these bullets Hit a VERY VERY Hard Wall of packed sand and were dug out with a stick

Soft lead, Typical of what i find, 40:1 will Roll back about the Same

Much Harder 30:1, 9-9.5 Brinell stuff, As you can see this stuff stil mushrooms back, but not nearly as much as the softer lead above, as to be expected.

Back