Just got a nice Tom opening day!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshbeam1

Reaction score
Just thought i'd share w/u guys, took my knight tk2000 out 2day April 14th and actually had decent weather for the 1st time in 2 wks. Went out looking for a spot and finally found my spot. I lucked out, because was there less than 20min when I saw a hen come by, she somehow spotted me and took off but I saw the tom not far behind her. He was walking thru some thick brush and was very leary what spooked the hen, but I waited him out. Soon as his head came into a clearing I took my shot. My tk2000 performed flawlessly and Im very pleased I got such a nice tom opening day.

What load did you use in your tk2000? What distance was the bird? Congratulations on the turkey.

I used 100 grains of pyrodex and some #6 shot. Bird was roughly 30yds. thought about using a heavier shot but thats what I got from knight when I ordered my gun so just used that and it did the trick. :) would u reccommend a different load??

I shoot 90 grains of APP 3f or 2f, what ever I have in the house.. a 3-1/4 hard plastic shot cup and a 50/50 mix of #6 & #7-1/2 then a foam over the shot wad. I find this deadly out to 40 yards. I think I could push the shotgun further, but after 40 yards I get inconsistent patterns. Mean one time its a great pattern and the next, not so great. Of course that could be attributed to point of aim too. I have a RED Dot on my TK and when the birds body majority fills the circle, I know he's in range. Then I dot the neck and let fly.

30 yards is a good safe shot. I know some TK owners stretch their shots out past 45 even 50 yards, but I never felt sure enough of myself for that. Besides, I set my decoys at 20 steps.. a hen with a mounting jake and then Tom's for some reason hate that Jake. (The jake has two or three holes through him as well). And they come in to run him off. So when they hit about 30 yards.. that is just fine for me.

I could not go this spring as I was sick and had a bunch of stuff to do around the house. And I will not hunt turkey in my woods as they are hit and miss around here. But that's ok.. I've killed a lot of turkey in my day, and while I like to hunt them.. its not the end of the world. I can still call them in to my back yard from time to time.

Dcp06803.jpg

Trouble posting pics. Tried to post a pic or 2 but cant seem to get it 2 work. Wont even let me copy n paste. What am i doing wrong??

joshbeam1 said:
Trouble posting pics. Tried to post a pic or 2 but cant seem to get it 2 work. Wont even let me copy n paste. What am i doing wrong??

You have to go through Photobucket or something similar--kind of a pain, but I'd love to see the pics.

I think there are directions for posting pics here somewhere in the Forum...

Towards the bottom of the "Modern Muzzleloader Forum Index," in the "Help" forum, there's a sticky about posting pics

Congratulations on getting your bird :applause: :yeah:

Latest posts

Back