Turkey down.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flhtr

Reaction score
I was hunting with a friend of mine this morning in an area that held, so I was told, several gobblers. He also told me that they fired off about six o' clock every morning. There was an overcast and a brisk wind blowing. I thought the birds would still be on the roust longer than usual. Well, we didn't hear any turkeys for almost an hour but we did hear several crows locked in one spot and decided that they were harassing something so we decided to move a little closer. We moved about a quarter of a mile down the road and pulled over. Just as my buddy walked up to my truck window saying something, (words of turkey wisdom, I'm sure!) I heard the turkey gobble! The plan was for me to head straight towards him down and old trail and my buddy was going to get in his truck and come around the other side of him. Now as I'm heading towards the bird he starts to get really fired up and is gobbling what seems like every second. I close half the distance that was originally between us and take a few steps off of the trail. I was waiting for him to fire off again to see if I would be able to get a little closer. It didn't take but a couple of seconds and he fires off again. Staying off the trail I gain about twenty more yards. I get on my knees and pull out my call. Four soft yelps is what I give him and that's all he needed! He's answers back to my yelps with double and single gobbles! I lay my call down and that's when I see him! He's about sixty yards from me coming straight down the trail! I'm catching glimpses of his head as he's making his way closer. Every now and then, I can see him in full strut! Now, he's about thirty yards from me and I can hear him spitting! Spitting and strutting! Now he's twenty yards from me but there's two small trees between us. I already had my gun up by this time, I should mention. I aim the barrel to the left side of the small trees and wait from him to step out. Seconds later, he clears the trees in full strut! Man, what a sight! I waited for him to come out of his strut and then pulled the trigger! He goes down hard! The shot was roughly ten yards! What a rush! He weighed 19lbs. 10oz. 10 1/2" beard. 1 1/4" inch spurs. It is currently the second largest bird in weight but the largest in beard and spur length in the area I'm hunting.

Congratulations on the bird. Good story too. And good eating I might add.

It was an Eastern. I've tried posting pictures before and have had no luck. I know I'm doing something wrong but after so many attempts I've just stuck to telling the story. I did go hunting again this morning but didn't see or hear any gobblers. I did see a hen. I also seen a hog that weighed roughly 250-275 lbs. I'll be hunting it this year!

Latest posts

Back