Big Indiana bird in the rain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batchief909

Reaction score
Connected on a big Indiana gobbler Friday morning in the rain. 27lbs,,,10.75" beard,,1.5" spurs. Remington 870 SPS-T 3.5" mag....#6 Hevi-Shot. Approximately 45 yards.

WOW!! that is a monster Tom. Congratulations. That one might need at least a feather mount. My farmer friend swears that the turkeys are getting bigger then in past years. Maybe they have better feed and less predators. Who knows. But that really is a great bird!!

What a beast! Good going Batchief! Tell us how it happened!

Flhtr said:
What a beast! Good going Batchief! Tell us how it happened!

Me and my partner had scouted this area beforehand, and knew there were some good birds in the area. We got to the property just before daylight and did a shock call. No response.

After a brief whispered conversation, we decided to walk up the lane and try again. We had walked maybe 20 yards, and a crow let loose...followed by the gobble of a VERY close Tom! Maybe 75 yards away.

This bird was still on the roost and we both found cover to see what we could do with him. After 25 minutes of soft purrs, and a couple good yelps,,he finally flew down. My partner was on the call, and I was in position. We didn't plan it that way, but the bird was too close to be wasting time.

Once he was on the ground, I spotted his head and neck just over the rise...approximately 40 yards. He took 2 steps towards where he had heard the yelps and purrs,,and I could tell he was aware that something wasn't Kosher. He let out one more gobble, and turned back towards the woods. He took 2 steps, and I pulled the trigger. He hit the ground hard.

I got lucky. This bird was a beast. Estimated 4+ years old.

Latest posts

Back